2 billion pixel picture of Everest

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
John Duffield

Re: 2 billion pixel picture of Everest

by John Duffield » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:47 pm

Well, it's simply a matter of priorities and where you want to go with your life. I certainly don't claim to be a role model.

The photgrapher of this photo, spent a winter living in a cardboard box in Jackson WY. Wanted to learn how to climb that bad. I'm sure he doesn't claim to be a role model either. He carried an IMAX camera up Everest.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:19 am

Hotoven wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:
John Duffield wrote:
Hotoven wrote:Very cool photo.

Just another reminder that if I want to hang out with a bunch of people, I can just drive into town. I'm sure their population in climbing season is similar to the town I live in.

If you say so. Trust me on this. The people in EBC are nothing like the people in any town you can drive to.

Well I'm glad someone finally said it. Everyone is hating on this place yet none one of the haters has ever even been there. I'm sure it is an interesting experience. Probably beats what most folks here have done in the last month.

I was referring to the amount of people, not the type of people.

Also Chad, just last week I completed my undergrad work. Took over 4 years and around $45,000. Now its done, and I can move on in life, I wouldn't trade that for visiting EBC. So in my case and my opinion, visiting EBC does not beat what I have done in the past month.

Fair enough. My comment wasn't really directed at you though. You weren't commenting on what it was like there, just got your quote caught up in it.

radson

by radson » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:12 am

yeah and perhaps not a fair comparison. Visiting EBC takes about 2 weeks and costs perhaps $5,000 if you include flights

RobSC

by RobSC » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:24 pm

I'd agree, it's an amazing picture. The crowds certainly make me want to go to somewhere solitary...

From what I understand it was taken on May 1st of 2012. There hadn't been much done above camp 3 at that point. Camp 3 is located in the seracs part way up the Lhotse Face. Quite a few of the tents can be seen.

There is a pack out poop policy from base camp but not higher up on the mountain.

Regarding: Wow. Even for being the highest peak, the amount of people there is staggering. At least the summit is not crowded. I uploaded a picture: #831412 of the summit taken a few weeks later. I don't know how to get it to show here... The day that this picture was taken, the winds were howling...

Rob

mountainhare

by mountainhare » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:40 pm

RobSC wrote:I'd agree, it's an amazing picture. The crowds certainly make me want to go to somewhere solitary...

From what I understand it was taken on May 1st of 2012. There hadn't been much done above camp 3 at that point. Camp 3 is located in the seracs part way up the Lhotse Face. Quite a few of the tents can be seen.

There is a pack out poop policy from base camp but not higher up on the mountain.

Regarding: Wow. Even for being the highest peak, the amount of people there is staggering. At least the summit is not crowded. I uploaded a picture: #831412 of the summit taken a few weeks later. I don't know how to get it to show here... The day that this picture was taken, the winds were howling...

Rob

-
That quote looks something like what I posted earlier. I checked out your Everest trip report, which is really neat. Congratulations on reaching the summit, especially after looking forward to it for so long. That must have been quite the gratifying feeling. Anyway, the summit was certainly crowded in your photos. That's wild. I also liked your photo 811303 from the Hillary Step. Maybe two dozen people in that frame.

At the time you were on Everest taking those pictures, I was more than 8000 meters lower in Missouri's Bell Mountain Wilderness, and I saw one person there in 36 hours. Perhaps the only thing in common there is that we both really enjoyed what we were doing that day, and that is awesome.

no avatar
Jabberwocky

by Jabberwocky » Mon May 20, 2013 7:32 pm

Since the original post link wasn't working for me, I found another shot here:

http://www.glacierworks.org/the-glaciers/pumori-spring-2012/

youngclimer123

by youngclimer123 » Wed May 22, 2013 1:42 am

This picture would be PERFECT for a wheres Waldo hunt!

The following user would like to thank youngclimer123 for this post
Jabberwocky

Previous

Return to General