Linville Gorge Bridge Out

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
dwhike

Linville Gorge Bridge Out

by dwhike » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:20 pm

Just an FYI for anyone planning a trip to Linville Gorge, the Spence Ridge bridge was washed away by recent floods. This is the same bridge that was dramatically chopperd into the gorge a number of years ago. The ranger I talked to said there are no concrete plans for a replacement as of this time. Plan accordingly if you're gonna be hiking there.

MarkDidier

Re: Linville Gorge Bridge Out

by MarkDidier » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:09 pm

Dan, thanks for info...I only wish I was heading that way for a few days.

Curious how difficult it is to cross the river there without the bridge? This should make things a lot more interesting for all those backpackers trying to do a gorge loop!

dwhike

by dwhike » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:01 pm

It'd be tricky to say the least, I personally wouldn't attempt it considering where you'd be if something went wrong. Upstream might offer more options for a crossing but going off-trail in Linville Gorge isn't exactly my idea of fun.

e-doc

by e-doc » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:04 am

Bridge gone? There is a God!
When water at normal flow getting across is fairly easy. It depends on location. (I've crossed in multiple locations in the entire gorge.)

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)