Stunning Carstenz Aerial Footage

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Oceania and the Pacific Islands. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Oceania Climbing Partners section.
Damien Gildea

Stunning Carstenz Aerial Footage

by Damien Gildea » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:55 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1iv2Ft ... e=youtu.be

From an ice-coring team. The last minute or so has the nice aerial footage shot from a help. Almost makes me want to go there.

The following user would like to thank Damien Gildea for this post
dadndave, mrchad9, Scott, Tonka

Mountain Bandit

Re: Stunning Carstenz Aerial Footage

by Mountain Bandit » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:53 am

Slackers - using helicopters to get both themselves and the coring rig up there. When I was rock coring in the mountains of PNG, we had to carry all the coring rig parts from the end of the world's worse roads, and uphill to the coring location and assemble the thing.

Wicked footage though. The mountains in that part of the world are most majestic. When climbing in that area, I always think the alpine mountain tops overlooking the hot and humid jungles is most surreal. Some of the cloud formations in those parts are utterly amazing.

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:01 pm

Last week I saw Colin Putt give a talk about his 1961 recce of Carstenz. It was notable how much thicker the icecaps were then.

I've got Philip Temple on video talking about the FA of Carstenz with Harrer, but haven't edited it yet.

Mountain Bandit

by Mountain Bandit » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:14 am

Nice. Please post when edited.

An amazing history (geological, glaciological and climbing) in that area. Facinating concept that back in the 30s Colijn et al. summited Ngga Pulu, the then highest peak in Oceania (assumed by educated assessment) surpassing the Pyramid in height.

I had a mesmerizing time standing on top of a mountain on that tropical island during a blizzard so I can understand the allure of reaching it's highest point back in the day.

Return to Oceania and Pacific Islands