Top Notch Peak (Absarokas)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
Morlow

Top Notch Peak (Absarokas)

by Morlow » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:53 pm

Hey all, has anyone been on the north face of Top Notch Peak before? Just curious approximately what angle it goes to. I'm looking for some moderate snow to play on that doesn't have a long approach. The couloir that cuts right down the middle looks pretty nice but it looks like it may be steeper than I am wanting to do solo.

chugach mtn boy

Re: Top Notch Peak (Absarokas)

by chugach mtn boy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:55 pm

I haven't been in that couloir. It looks completely vertical when seen head-on, but this image from out to one side gives a better idea of the true angle (still steep).

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:37 pm

It's pushing 70 degrees. I haven't been on it......but it's steep.

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:41 pm

Morlow wrote:Hey all, has anyone been on the north face of Top Notch Peak before? Just curious approximately what angle it goes to. I'm looking for some moderate snow to play on that doesn't have a long approach. The couloir that cuts right down the middle looks pretty nice but it looks like it may be steeper than I am wanting to do solo.

Middle Teton isn't an extremely long approach and prob still has some great moderate snow on it, but it would be more of a day trip than an after work deal, if that's what you're looking for. I guess it depends on your definition of long approach. Mine is more than 15 miles.

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)