Mammoth Lakes & Bishop: Favorite post-hike restaurants?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
phydeux

Re: Mammoth Lakes & Bishop: Favorite post-hike restaurants?

by phydeux » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:58 am

The Vons/Safeway supermarkets in both Bishop and Mammoth have delis that are pretty good, and are a good 'defualt' if everwhere else is crowded or closed (post season). Get a sandwich, some fruit from the produce area, and a tall cold drink from the drink fridge and you're set. If you get there in the late afternoon, get some fried chicken; if there's no fresh stuff they'll usually fry up some fresh pieces for you, and its great if you've been lining on dried food for a few day. Also salad fixin's and breads.

The following user would like to thank phydeux for this post
tbaranski

Deb

by Deb » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:32 pm

tbaranski wrote:I'm a big fan of doing ~8-hour day hikes starting early in the morning, eating very little before & during, and then eating a power dinner (and dessert!) right afterwards.
Any suggestions for good eats in Mammoth Lakes and Bishop?

Your fuel plan does not make sense. Why would you starve your machine when you need it to operate efficiently and opportunities for life-saving mode exist? Unless of course you just wallow along down dull beaten paths.
Whoa Nellie does suck now, but I met someone special there last month, so :) . Jack's in Bishop is my fave cuz you can eat yourself into oblivion with comfort foods.
Holy Smoke plays Christian music - can't dig it. Hence "Holy."

JHH60

by JHH60 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:41 pm

If you're in the Rock Creek/Little Lakes Valley (which you should check out if you like long day hikes in a beautiful area) the Cafe at Tom's place offers good sandwiches and beer and other comfort food on the patio (or inside if you want to check out the local scene at the bar).

The following user would like to thank JHH60 for this post
tbaranski

artrock23

by artrock23 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:31 pm

JHH60 wrote:If you're in the Rock Creek/Little Lakes Valley (which you should check out if you like long day hikes in a beautiful area) the Cafe at Tom's place offers good sandwiches and beer and other comfort food on the patio (or inside if you want to check out the local scene at the bar).

Tom's Place Cafe will always have a warm spot in my heart. Half-dead with exhaustion after a solo climb, not back to my truck at Mosquito Flats until after dark, I had one of the most enjoyable dinners of my life there.

colinr

by colinr » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:56 pm

Ron Burgandy wrote:MelTorino:All those other places you guy's are talking about are marginally mediocre at best, some of that stuff i wouldn't feed my dog. I like to frequent the Chart House in Mammoth Lakes post climb, hike or whatever. It's not too expensive, really affordable, good food, and a great atmosphere.

Sure. Let's dayhike Ritter and then head straight there.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLUiK2lbN2s[/youtube]

Deb

by Deb » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:45 am

mular wrote:I have eaten at basicly every single place there is to eat in bishop, its all foul. So I go to the bread shop on main st and get some bread, they make really good cheese bread.

Troll

Deb

by Deb » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:53 am

mular wrote:
Deb wrote:
mular wrote:I have eaten at basicly every single place there is to eat in bishop, its all foul. So I go to the bread shop on main st and get some bread, they make really good cheese bread.

Troll

No troll, 95% of food in the usa is crap, why do you think there are so many fat people and retarded people. Look at kfc, it has white meat and dark meat, have you ever seen a chicken with brown meat on it, I haven't.

Soooo you eat a loaf of cheese bread? Undoubtedly a portion of that 95% crap food. Wouldn't you think that poor choice is more the reason for obesity than 95% of the food in this country? No one in my family for several generations has been obese or "retarded." Choice. You're an idiot -

artrock23

by artrock23 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:03 am

Schatt's is good, for pastries... I can just see the Bishop locals here roll their eyes. :wink:

Just have to time it around the tourist mobs. Also, their coffee is lousy.

The following user would like to thank artrock23 for this post
RickF

colinr

by colinr » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:02 am

Wow! Over a half dozen posts mentioning bread and/or fried chicken. It's as if I'm being egged on.

I'll have some dry white toast. My brother will have four whole fried chickens and a coke.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XOPZFhB3gE[/youtube]

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:06 am

Deb wrote:Holy Smoke plays Christian music - can't dig it.

Interesting, hadn't noticed previously as I usually sit on the patio since they are dog-friendly and allow pooches at patio tablesides. Will be more observant next time. Regardless their ribs n pulled pork are solid, and the spicy BBQ sauce is good if u like mesquite.

thegib

by thegib » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:36 am

Troll or no, mular's got a good point about fat and retarded people.

colinr

by colinr » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:46 pm

mular wrote:
SeanReedy wrote:Wow! Over a half dozen posts mentioning bread and/or fried chicken. It's as if I'm being egged on.

I'll have some dry white toast. My brother will have four whole fried chickens and a coke.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XOPZFhB3gE[/youtube]

Its all good, I quite often sit down and eat a whole chicken. Can some body please clear up what this brown chicken is at kfc, I have never seen brown chicken meat before. I am from isolated New Zealand, we don't see that kind of thing here.

Maybe the myoglobin from endurance exercise makes the thigh/leg muscles look darker. Dunno how KFC chickens get any excercise, but I'd imagine you might be able to find healthy free range poultry way down under. The real mystery is how KFC gets their chickens to be boneless.

You do raise an old cultural issue:

During a visit to America, Winston Churchill was invited to a buffet luncheon at which cold fried chicken was served. Returning for a second helping, he asked politely, "May I have some breast?"

"Mr. Churchill," replied the hostess, "in this country we ask for white meat or dark meat." Churchill apologized profusely.

The following morning, the lady received a magnificent orchid from her guest of honor. The accompanying card read: "I would be most obliged if you would pin this on your white meat."

tbaranski

by tbaranski » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:51 pm

Deb wrote:Your fuel plan does not make sense. Why would you starve your machine when you need it to operate efficiently and opportunities for life-saving mode exist? Unless of course you just wallow along down dull beaten paths.

I'm generally not hungry when I get up super early in the morning for a hike, nor during the hike -- I'm focused on the beauty around me. Been operating this way for years. I've never starved nor evaporated during a hike.

What doesn't make sense is eating when you're not hungry. :-)

RickF

by RickF » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:25 pm

artrock23 wrote:Schatt's is good, for pastries... I can just see the Bishop locals here roll their eyes. :wink:

Just have to time it around the tourist mobs. Also, their coffee is lousy.

O.K. so it's pre-hike instead of post-hike but I like the fresh, made to order deli sandwiches from Shatt's. We've stopped in there a few times when we've had to wait for the NFS to open so we could pick up permits. Then we ate Shatt's sandwiches at Bishop Pass later that same day.

PreviousNext

Return to California