Easy peaks near Cody/Yellowstone

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
WyomingSummits

Easy peaks near Cody/Yellowstone

by WyomingSummits » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:25 am

Taking the wife and three kids under 5 for a week in Yellowstone/Tetons/Winds. Hoteling it of course. The wife has told me that it's a FAMILY trip.....so no peak bagging for me! :) However, I can be persuasive guy.....so if I were to manage to change her mind, what would be a moderate elevation (8-10k) peak I could get to the easiest? Not doing much in Yellowstone, just showing the kids Old Faithful, picnic by the lake, and some walking around near some of the tar pits/hot springs. Then swinging south to the Tetons. Will be staying in Cody most of Sat-Mon.....haven't climbed much in that section of WY(absarokas/ystone). I could do the research but I'm feeling lazy. :) Suggestions are welcome!

cab

Re: Easy peaks near Cody/Yellowstone

by cab » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:57 pm

Check out Avalanche Peak. The route description in SP makes it sound tougher than it is. If there is no snow, there is a trail all the way to the summit. It's fairly steep, but only around 2 miles each way. Fantastic far-reaching views from the summit.

chugach mtn boy

by chugach mtn boy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:02 pm

Avalanche (which is out near the East Entrance, heading toward Cody) is a great idea for a quickie if it's just you, not so much if you're trying to herd the 3 kids under five up it. It's a fair drive from anywhere you're likely to be staying, but will be on route if driving into the park from Cody. El. gain is about 2000.

If staying at Canyon, don't overlook the pretty Washburn Range right above. You could bag a small peak before breakfast and the missus might just think you'd gone to the restroom. Washburn itself is a 1400-foot climb from Dunraven Pass (just above Canyon Village) on a very gentle old roadbed. The little 9900-foot peaks just west of the same pass (Dunraven, Hedges) are only about a thousand feet of ascent and go even faster, walking up the meadows.

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:00 am

Thanks Guys. Just got back from a trip to the Winds, Absarokas, and Yellowstone. Ended up not being able to get on Avalanche Peak.....it killed me to just drive by the trailhead sign. :) Just wasn't enough time on this trip, especially with cranky little ones. Eh, I'm only 4.5hrs away, there will be another time. :) Thanks for the recommendations.

ywardhorner

by ywardhorner » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:39 pm

If you come back this way (Cody/Yellowstone), send me a message. I can point you to tons of awesome peaks around here and maybe even do some of them with you. I don't always read the forums though.
Connect with me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/YWardHorner or check out my blog http://blog.yvettewardhorner.com

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)