Wind River Conditions? ~ Fremont Peak

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
dustingaffke

Wind River Conditions? ~ Fremont Peak

by dustingaffke » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:51 am

Just wondering if anyone knows what the current snow conditions are like in the Wind River range, particularly around Fremont Peak ~ Titcomb and Indian basin? I currently have a trip planned to do some Colorado climbing in a few weeks but am starting to put together a Plan B due to all the fires. The Wind River's look magnificent but I'm a little worried that there may still be a good amount of snow up there.

The following user would like to thank dustingaffke for this post
reboyles

reboyles

Re: Wind River Conditions? ~ Fremont Peak

by reboyles » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:28 pm

I've been trying to find a 2013 trip report for my friends who are heading in there in about two weeks. I do know from watching the Hobbs SNOTEL site that the melt-off this year came almost a month earlier than our trip in late June 2010. The snow pack at the Hobbs site was half of normal so like most of the west, The Winds are experiencing a low snow year. In 2010 we had to use snowshoes from Photographers Point on but I doubt you'd need them now. Having been in there a couple of times, my preference is to do it when there is some snow cover, especially on Bonney Pass. I'd go now if I could.

no avatar
MattGreene

by MattGreene » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:27 pm

I was in that area of the Winds from about June 19th-22nd, climbing the North Arete on Ellingwood, which is very close to Freemont. We started to hit snow around Island Lake, but even then it was only sporadic. Temps were cold enough at night for water to freeze and to keep the bugs at bay. We didn't see a mosquito past Seneca Lake. The snow we hit was rock hard in the morning, and really not all that bad of a mushy mess in the afternoon. We were able to glissade for about 1500 feet on the descent of Ellingwood. I don't know how much conditions have changed, but I'd expect that you'll find mostly dry trails, and will be able to deal with any snow just by taking an ice axe and crampons and crossing snowfields early in the morning.

The following user would like to thank MattGreene for this post
reboyles

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:21 am

Was just hiking some canyons outside of Lander and Pinedale this past week, trying to test a foot injury. Looking at the peaks, it looks like the snowmelt really picked up steam in the last 3 weeks. Like another guy mentioned, SNOTEL is showing major meltout at most trailhead locations, and just by eyeballing it, most of your approach to Titcomb should be snow free with the exception of a few areas. A guy in Wild Iris said he figured the approach to Gannett would be snow free either now or in another week.....they're getting some really hot weather down in Lander. I'll be doing Gannett next Fri-Sun, so I'll give you a report afterward.

The following user would like to thank WyomingSummits for this post
reboyles

MG13

by MG13 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:40 pm

Just wondering how your Gannett attempt went and what the snow looked like through the Titcomb/Booney Pass/Gannett area.

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)