Mount Mansfield

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
LesterLong

Mount Mansfield

by LesterLong » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:16 pm

I'm going to climb Mount Mansfield at about 4pm Saturday July 20. Any suggested routes or interest in joining me? The rating system they use ("M" to "DDD") is different from what I'm used to.

kozman18

Re: Mount Mansfield

by kozman18 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:42 pm

If you want a challenge, hike the Hell Brook Trail. Steep -- a direct shot to the summit (eastern approach). On the west side, the Sunset Ridge has some great views but is probably the most crowded. For a little more solitude, try the Frost/Maple trails (they lead to the forehead, not the chin (the summit))

The following user would like to thank kozman18 for this post
LesterLong

nartreb

by nartreb » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:33 pm

That's a late start. Note that the Hell Brook trail in the dark would make for a very slow descent. I suggest you go up Hell Brook, wander the ridge until sunset (check out the Subway trail!), and come down the AT or the ski slopes - you'll reach the road only a little distance from the Hell Brook trailhead.

The following user would like to thank nartreb for this post
LesterLong

LesterLong

by LesterLong » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:36 pm

Thanks for your help! I had the mountain to myself for some unknown reason. Started at 4:30, back by 8:15, just in time!

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)