Shepherd Pass Trail

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
User Avatar
Alpenglow

 
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 7:04 pm
Thanked: 4 times in 4 posts

Shepherd Pass Trail

by Alpenglow » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:27 am

Anyone been up/down Shepherd Pass recently? I heard the trail got gouged out pretty bad and was wondering if it was still passable.

Thank you!

The following user would like to thank Alpenglow for this post
Deb

User Avatar
Deb

 
Posts: 3147
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2002 1:57 pm
Thanked: 215 times in 133 posts

Re: Shepherd Pass Trail

by Deb » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:42 am

Yep, came out from Williamson on the 27th. The stream crossing just before Anvil Camp is the worse but it's ducked very well; you just scramble down into the "wash." Everywhere the trail was washed out or damaged has been remarked by kind hikers. You can't get lost.
I'm actually going up there tomorrow to head for Milestone and Midway. Friday I can give a more recent update, but really it's fine ... So is the road to trailhead.
Happy trails!

The following user would like to thank Deb for this post
Alpenglow

User Avatar
Alpenglow

 
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 7:04 pm
Thanked: 4 times in 4 posts

Re: Shepherd Pass Trail

by Alpenglow » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:50 am

Forgot to include this but when is the next closest water source after leaving symmes creek going up? Usually carry a liter or less at a time but I know it has been a dry year so was unsure about water between Anvil Camp and Symmes creek

User Avatar
Deb

 
Posts: 3147
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2002 1:57 pm
Thanked: 215 times in 133 posts

Re: Shepherd Pass Trail

by Deb » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:14 am

You'll only need a liter all the way up and over Shepherd Pass. In fact, I ONLY carry a liter and made it nicely to Milestone Basin. TONS of water all the way! 8 stream crossings in 11 miles? Yep.

User Avatar
Alpenglow

 
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 7:04 pm
Thanked: 4 times in 4 posts

Re: Shepherd Pass Trail

by Alpenglow » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:58 am

Thanks Deb! Think we may have talked to you on Thursday coming down from the saddle. We were heading over shepherd then ending at Whitney portal 5 days later

User Avatar
Deb

 
Posts: 3147
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2002 1:57 pm
Thanked: 215 times in 133 posts

Re: Shepherd Pass Trail

by Deb » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:22 pm

Alpenglow wrote:Thanks Deb! Think we may have talked to you on Thursday coming down from the saddle. We were heading over shepherd then ending at Whitney portal 5 days later

Oh cool! How was your trip?
BTW, heading back up there to dayhike Tyndall on Saturday; I will be sure to scarf up the wild huckleberries on the way in. YUM!

User Avatar
Alpenglow

 
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 7:04 pm
Thanked: 4 times in 4 posts

Re: Shepherd Pass Trail

by Alpenglow » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:21 am

Deb wrote:
Alpenglow wrote:Thanks Deb! Think we may have talked to you on Thursday coming down from the saddle. We were heading over shepherd then ending at Whitney portal 5 days later

Oh cool! How was your trip?
BTW, heading back up there to dayhike Tyndall on Saturday; I will be sure to scarf up the wild huckleberries on the way in. YUM!


It was great! The pass was tough with packs and Whitney was freezing when we camped on the top, otherwise it was awesome haha. Good luck with Tyndall, that's a lot of vertical! My favorite part were the seemingly pointless switchbacks between mahogany flat and the washed out gully!

User Avatar
MCGusto

 
Posts: 398
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:18 pm
Thanked: 19 times in 10 posts

Re: Shepherd Pass Trail

by MCGusto » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:13 pm

Hey all,

How was the road to get to the trailhead? 4x4 needed or passable with basic 2wd car?

Also... Any water once on top of Shepherd's Pass? Looking to overnight and bag Tyndall and was debating on camping above or below Shepherd's Pass.

Thanks,

Gusto

User Avatar
seano

 
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:52 pm
Thanked: 115 times in 96 posts

Re: Shepherd Pass Trail

by seano » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:30 pm

MCGusto wrote:Also... Any water once on top of Shepherd's Pass? Looking to overnight and bag Tyndall and was debating on camping above or below Shepherd's Pass.

There's a decent-sized lake right at the pass. You might as well tag Williamson while you're in the neighborhood...

User Avatar
MCGusto

 
Posts: 398
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:18 pm
Thanked: 19 times in 10 posts

Re: Shepherd Pass Trail

by MCGusto » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:48 pm

Ha! I was supposed to bag Tyndall the last time I did Williamson! Williamson pretty much knocked me out, so I decided against both in a day. Now I've got to slog back over Shepherd's Pass for Round 2.

Ugh.

Gusto

User Avatar
Deb

 
Posts: 3147
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2002 1:57 pm
Thanked: 215 times in 133 posts

Re: Shepherd Pass Trail

by Deb » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:03 pm

MCGusto wrote:Ha! I was supposed to bag Tyndall the last time I did Williamson! Williamson pretty much knocked me out, so I decided against both in a day. Now I've got to slog back over Shepherd's Pass for Round 2.

Ugh.

Gusto

When are you headed out? I need Tyndall, thanks to torrential rain.
BTW, the road is easily passable by most any vehicle; no problem. Lots of water and huckleberries along the way.

User Avatar
MCGusto

 
Posts: 398
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:18 pm
Thanked: 19 times in 10 posts

Re: Shepherd Pass Trail

by MCGusto » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:10 am

Deb,

Shot you a PM.

Gusto

User Avatar
Vitaliy M.

 
Posts: 1015
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:23 am
Thanked: 288 times in 216 posts

Re: Shepherd Pass Trail

by Vitaliy M. » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:30 pm

Lots of water and huckleberries along the way.


On the way to Williamson/Tyndall? That sounds awesome. I still have not done Tyndall..not sure I would get there though if there are huckleberries on the way..

User Avatar
MCGusto

 
Posts: 398
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:18 pm
Thanked: 19 times in 10 posts

Re: Shepherd Pass Trail

by MCGusto » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:22 am

Vitaliy M. wrote:
Lots of water and huckleberries along the way.


On the way to Williamson/Tyndall? That sounds awesome. I still have not done Tyndall..not sure I would get there though if there are huckleberries on the way..


Still going if you want in....

Heading up Saturday morning barring problems with fires....

Gusto


Return to California

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests