How bad is the forest fire smoke in Carson Iceberg Wildernes

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
jeffwidman

How bad is the forest fire smoke in Carson Iceberg Wildernes

by jeffwidman » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:28 am

We're considering going backpacking in the Carson Iceberg Wilderness, possible enter at the Highland Lakes area, but we're concerned about smoke from the fire.

Anyone know how bad the smoke is from the rim fire?

Really bad or barely noticable?

One of the guys that's going was in Yosemite last weekend and said it was quite acrid and on bad days you couldn't see more than a thousand feet and ash was falling everywhere.

Alternatively we've thought about Desolation, but worried that it'll be a zoo with people. Is smoke bad there?

Or any interesting trips north of Tahoe in the Eldorado NF?

goofball

Re: How bad is the forest fire smoke in Carson Iceberg Wilde

by goofball » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:09 pm

have a friend in washoe valley who says they have had clear skys since rim fire was contained, they have been hiking in hoover wilderness and say it is all clear.

Marmaduke

Re: How bad is the forest fire smoke in Carson Iceberg Wilde

by Marmaduke » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:28 am

I was on the east side of 108 2 weeks ago (yes awhile ago) but on my way back The Carson Iceberg area was socked in as it was over to Hope Valley. Once into Meyers, clear skies. 80% contained now and the growth has been about 500 acres per day. I'd have expect pretty darn clear now.

Return to California