Profile Themes for SP Version 4

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
MoapaPk

Re: Profile Themes for SP Version 4

by MoapaPk » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:21 am

As a Vegas resident, I would like a leopard-spotted theme.

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
lcarreau

no avatar
Jimbopo

by Jimbopo » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:30 am

Bob Sihler wrote:A change I really would like to see on profile pages would be listing objects in alphabetical order rather than by creation date. This would make it much easier and thus more appealing to make periodic updates to pages, especially for people that have a lot of pages.

What the heck?! Our trip reports are now alphabetical instead of ordered by creation date? How is this easier?! Now everything is chronologically randomized and useless for reporting. What if you got the news in alphabetical order, would that be more appealing too?

The following user would like to thank Jimbopo for this post
mrchad9

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:53 am

Aaaaa .... I like the dark meat.

:D
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Matt Lemke

by Matt Lemke » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:54 am

Looks like I'll have to also voice my disgust here as well...
I absolutely hate having the links in alphabetical order on the profile. Bob I wish you would have consulted the rest of the elves and members.

Matt, can you please revert the profile ordering back to the way it was?

The following user would like to thank Matt Lemke for this post
mrchad9

no avatar
Jimbopo

by Jimbopo » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:24 am

Montana Matt wrote:And if someone can give a good explanation why other types of pages should be chronologically ordered, I'll consider changing them all back to sorted chronologically. Like Bob, I've always thought that the chronological sorting was not very intuitive for most objects.

The most logical order for these is chronological:

Albums -- mostly photographs and relevant by date. Who makes a photo album alphabetically?
Articles -- the most up to date information tends to be the most relevant.
Climber's Logs -- We like to see our progress in the order we gained it not dictated by phonetic lexicons.
Custom Pages -- odds are these were created for immediate contemporary use where the most recent page is indexed the most frequently.
Gear Reviews -- the older the gear, the less relevant to the modern climber. Who wants a review on something written in 2002?
Lists -- this is generally going to change based on somebody's current interests which are time oriented not alphabet oriented.
Messages -- these have not been changed and that's fine.
Plans -- unless the user has lost their mind, plans are always moving forward in time and changing based on success of goals not the alphabet.
Trip Reports -- should be listed as they are published not alphabetically -- otherwise the information becomes dated/randomized

Other types of pages are indexed based on title association alone. These are the ones that make more sense alphabetized:

Area/Range
Mountain
Route

This was really not difficult to deduce. I'm appalled there isn't more contentious discourse concerning this matter.

The following user would like to thank Jimbopo for this post
Josh Lewis

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:44 am

I liked the ordering the way they were before. I climb peaks in the order I climb them. Never alphabetically. Similarly I care most about the pages I most recently submitted. Not the peak starting with an A.

: - (

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
Kiefer, Marcsoltan, Matt Lemke

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:20 pm

My preference for alphabetizing is solely based on my own ease when I want to look up or edit information on my own pages.

I really don't understand people's preference for chronologically ordering things, but then again, I only look at other people's profile lists out of curiosity to see what they have submitted.

I still like having everything sorted alphabetically. My trip reports are not submitted in strict chronological order, anyway, so someone looking at my profile might see reports jumping back and forth through years despite the submission order. So there goes the "news" and current conditions argument, weak as it was to begin with when applied to profile pages.

A nice solution would be to have people be able to choose, maybe even by section. This would apply not just to your own profile but to others' as well. For example, Matt Lemke can choose to have his own pages listed chronologically when he views them while I can click so that I can see them sorted alphabetically. Either way, the user sees them how he wants to, not how someone else wants him to. It's like the sorting options with search results.

Bob I wish you would have consulted the rest of the elves and members.

Um, Matt, maybe you didn't notice, but this was an open thread started by another elf discussing changes to profiles. All I did was suggest a change I'd like to see. Montana Matt implemented it. I certainly didn't make the change myself or force it on the membership. If you want to be unhappy about the change being made so suddenly, perhaps direct your unhappiness at the person who posted this thread before he discussed it with others first. And if I sinned by not sticking directly to the opening topic, well, that happens. Why, just recently a thread I began about changes to pages under construction got diverted by an inane technical discussion completely unrelated to the topic. But I got over it. :)
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Fred Spicker

by Fred Spicker » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:32 pm

A problem with chronological climber log entries was that if you edited one, it went to the top of the list regardless of the date climbed.

I am more likely to be looking for a particular entry to remind myself of when I climbed something.

If anything doesn't work well alphabetized, it is Routes - here, it would be nice to have them alphabetized by the peak that they are on rather than by name which in many cases is repetitive - eg West Ridge, North Face, etc.

I like alphabetical for all other items on my page for my purposes and Routes really isn't any big deal, it is still easier to deal with than before.

The following user would like to thank Fred Spicker for this post
Bob Sihler

Marcsoltan

by Marcsoltan » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:18 pm

mrchad9 wrote:I liked the ordering the way they were before. I climb peaks in the order I climb them. Never alphabetically. Similarly I care most about the pages I most recently submitted. Not the peak starting with an A.

: - (

Me too! :-(

Brian Jenkins

Alphabetical Entries

by Brian Jenkins » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:11 pm

Just came back from a week of climbing and see entries on our profile pages are now alphabetical. Tried to find a thread about this but don't see anything. Can someone point me to the notice about this or (more importantly) let me know how I can change it back. To me, seeing my entries of summits and mountain pages alphabetically is almost useless as I refer back to them by when I did them. Now I can't tell what summits I did in a certain time frame and I'd like to change my profile back if possible. Thanks for any help!

The following user would like to thank Brian Jenkins for this post
Matt Lemke

mrchad9

Re: Alphabetical Entries

by mrchad9 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:28 pm

Looks like it has been changed back already.

The air seems cleaner now somehow!

Fred Spicker

by Fred Spicker » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:44 pm

Now is is back to the jumbled mess it was before.

How about making it an option?

The following user would like to thank Fred Spicker for this post
Bob Sihler

Josh Lewis

Re: Alphabetical Entries

by Josh Lewis » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:40 am

Refer to this post to see how it was proposed: post937524.html#p937524

Hopefully in the future we figure out some sort of preferences.

The following user would like to thank Josh Lewis for this post
Jimbopo

no avatar
Jimbopo

by Jimbopo » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:40 am

Bob Sihler wrote:A nice solution would be to have people be able to choose, maybe even by section. This would apply not just to your own profile but to others' as well. For example, Matt Lemke can choose to have his own pages listed chronologically when he views them while I can click so that I can see them sorted alphabetically. Either way, the user sees them how he wants to, not how someone else wants him to. It's like the sorting options with search results.

That actually sounds very fair. I hope there's some collaboration to put this into motion. Solo work/ one sided opinions (even mine) don't get far. Thanks for affirming that Bob.

Marcsoltan

by Marcsoltan » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:55 am

Thanks for switching back to the old way, but I have no problem with making it optional.

The following user would like to thank Marcsoltan for this post
lcarreau, Matt Lemke

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback