j tree camping

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
anita

j tree camping

by anita » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:17 am

which campgrounds would you guys recommend for up to 10 days? I've read that hidden valley is popular - how realistic would getting a walk in site around christmas be?

ExcitableBoy

Re: j tree camping

by ExcitableBoy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:34 am

I guess it was 20 years ago now, but I went to J-Tree over winter/Christmas break in grad school. We stayed in Hidden Valley - it was nice. Back then we had no problems getting a site. Not sure what it would be like these days.

fatdad

by fatdad » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:49 am

Almost a guarantee that you will NOT find a site. You might have better luck at Jumbo Rocks, maybe even Ryan Campground. Everyone who has Christmas break will be there, just like you. Sometimes you can find someone who might be willing to share their site in exchange for beer, firewood, etc., or you might get really lucky and get there right as someone is leaving. Still worth trying. Just have a plan B.

TheGeneral

by TheGeneral » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:12 am

Not sure what the allure of Hidden Valley is. If you like camping with yahoos and routes with crowds, I suppose it's all right.

Reserve a spot at Indian Cove. A group site, if you can. I've done that over Christmas before, with no problem. It's a little drive into the main park, but there's plenty of good climbing there, too. Plus it will be a little warmer.
"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman

anita

by anita » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:12 am

what's so great about hidden valley anyway?

edit: simul post!

TheGeneral

by TheGeneral » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:36 am

anita wrote:what's so great about hidden valley anyway?

BITD, it was centrally located and close to many good climbing areas. Now it just seems over crowded. If you really want to stay there, shoot for Super Bowl Sunday. You'll pretty much have the whole park to yourself. A great opportunity to get on Walk on the Wild Side, Sail Away, Black Tide, etc.
"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman

phydeux

by phydeux » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:56 am

'Ditto' to what everyone above says about Christmas week at J-Tree; its incredibly crowded. Indian Cove is a good idea, since you can reserve sites, but check see when the earliest reserve date is - its usually 90 days in advance, and that was Sept 25 :shock: (check at reservation.gov).

As another recommedation, do not stay at the Black Rock Canyon campground. Its at the west end of the park, just south of the town of Yucca Valley, and gets all the city problems. I've stayed there twice and thought it was somewhat of a 'dump'. There are a few hiking trails on the south side of the campground, but no real climbing. Jumbo Rocks wouldn't be bad idea - its at the est end of the loop road that goes through the park and might still have a few open spaces during Christmas week, plus its an easy drive west to the major rock areas.

anita

by anita » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:48 pm

thanks
so now that your gov't is shut down, can we just sneak in and camp wherever? ;)

asmrz

by asmrz » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:19 pm

If you can get a group together, Sheep Pass Campground has group sites that can be reserved. Sometimes, families use these and once in a while, when we were desperate, we would ask very nicely and people would allow us to put our tent down in the corner of their large group campsite

The Christmas week really starts the weekend before the Holidays, so if you can get to J Tree about Tuesday or Wednesday before the Christmas Week, you should be able to get a place. If you wait till the weekend before the Holidays, it's over, the place is full.

During Christmas week, if you really need a campsite, at about 9 AM each morning, start driving through all the campgrounds in J Tree, one by one. You just need one space. Observe the activity and if you see people packing their gear/tents etc, stop and ask them. Most people are really nice about it and will let you wait for their campsite to open.

Penelope and I like the smaller campgrounds because RVs have a harder time to use the roads and don't go there that much. We love Ryan Mountain CG.

Anita, as a last resort, Pen and I have been thinking of going to J Tree the week before Christmas and staying there over the Holidays. But we are not quite sure about it yet ( business activity has a way of changing our plans), but if we decide to go with that and you have nothing secured, maybe we can talk about it. Cheers, Alois.

PS There is one another way for short stays (one to two nights at J Tree) but I would rather not talk about it on public forum. PM me if interested.

The following user would like to thank asmrz for this post
anita

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:12 pm

my friends have group sites 5 & 6 at Indian Cove Dec. 14-15. if you can't find anything, go there and say you know Kevin. parking might not be possible as this is our annual Christmas party with gag gift exchange but you can park at the overflow short distance away and camp there. bring good beer and firewood and you won't be turned away. there might be some climbing involved if they are not too hungover.

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:14 pm

asmrz wrote:PS There is one another way for short stays (one to two nights at J Tree) but I would rather not talk about it on public forum. PM me if interested.

same ;)

anita

by anita » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:30 pm

is anyone going to be there this coming weekend?
heading to the park Friday to meet a friend, but have no reserved camping site :shock:

no avatar
KathyW

by KathyW » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:05 pm

You can camp on BLM land outside the park.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 7178,d.cGU

DukeJH

by DukeJH » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:51 pm

We camp on the BLM land and drive in every morning. The price is right.

Return to California