Climber's Log in Profile

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Donno

Climber's Log in Profile

by Donno » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:00 am

For version 4, it would be cool if - in your Profile - you could see your Climber's Log entries sorted by mountain ranges [instead of entry date]. Or alternately, allow the user to sort by entry date, climb date, or range.

The following user would like to thank Donno for this post
SzaniUherkovich

Josh Lewis

Re: Climber's Log in Profile

by Josh Lewis » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:44 am

I'm really hoping for preferences to be included in SPV4. That would certainly be one of my favorite additions. Page sorting on the profile was under the consideration list, but climber logs should be too.

As of right now you can search your own pages within a certain order by clicking your top 27 images (best rated or most recent) and than then go to the search menu and change the object type to what you want and re-sort it. Here's an example: http://www.summitpost.org/object_list.p ... r_id=15562

Climber logs should be included on that list. I'll add this to the tracker. :)

Fred Spicker

by Fred Spicker » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:28 pm

I think that it is important that people be able to sort the stuff on their pages as per their preference - within reason as far as choices go. I would be happy with just being able to sort alphabetically.

Once again - chronological in the form that it is in now is fairly meaningless for summit log entries unless you sign them as you do the climbs and never edit.

I just "edited" my entry for Rainier (added a period) - Rainier is now at the top of my list as if it were the last climb that I did. I climbed it in 1975 and signed the summit log in 2002.
Last edited by Fred Spicker on Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The following user would like to thank Fred Spicker for this post
Bob Sihler

Fred Spicker

by Fred Spicker » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:39 pm

summit log entries invisible on the What's New page

I would go so far as to say that perhaps summit log entries don't really need to be on the What's New Page at all.

Would there be better use of the space?

The following user would like to thank Fred Spicker for this post
Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:42 pm

I agree completely with both posts by Fred.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:25 am

Considering that there is a lot of hype about preferences I'll do what I can to see if it can be included in SPV4. For now other tasks must be met such as optimization stuff and fixes. So it's certainly on the list. :) I'm glad folks spoke up about interest in it.

Regarding summit logs: I had no idea that editing a log made it go to the top! :? That really ought to be fixed. As for the what's new, logs are currently placed at the bottom which is the most out of the way it can be for displaying. At the very least it helps the elves see that no one is spamming the climber logs. But I see your point that it doesn't provide people much info considering that it's usually of random different places in the world. My proposal is to reduce it's size and have a link to "more climber logs". If devised right, one could search within a particular region for the most recent climber logs. This might give some folks quick beta for mountain conditions. Just an idea.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:59 pm

Once again - chronological in the form that it is in now is fairly meaningless for summit log entries unless you sign them as you do the climbs and never edit.

Regarding summit logs: I had no idea that editing a log made it go to the top!

What about having them sorted by date climbed rather than by date signed/edited?

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
Josh Lewis, Matt Lemke

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:26 am

Scott wrote:What about having them sorted by date climbed rather than by date signed/edited?

Agreed! I'll mark it in the list, even if it is a while before this is considered.

Woodswalker

by Woodswalker » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:23 pm

Catamount wrote:FWIW, I kind of like having the climber's log on the What's New page and find it interesting to see who has been climbing what. I suspect others do as well. This is why I brought up the point that I did. Nobody wants to see or cares about whether someone climbed a whole bunch of mountains in the 90s and I imagine I'm not the only one who has refrained from entering his own summit logs for exactly this reason. Not that big of a deal, really, but figured I'd throw it out there since y'all are making a bunch of changes to the site.

Why would your 1990's climbs be any less interesting than something more recent? Post 'em up! :)

Silvia Mazzani
Forum Moderator

by Silvia Mazzani » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:38 pm

Hello friends,
i shortly summarize my opinion about:
- Restyling Climber's log Profile: probably the best choice is the second version, the third one is very nice, Josh, but less readable, i think

- I think it'd be better to list objects on the profile page in alphabetical order, also the climber's logs. It will make easier and practical the consultation

- I agree with Fred about the question of Summit's logs entries on the What's New page. Let's members do their Summit's logs without invading What's New page

The following user would like to thank Silvia Mazzani for this post
Bob Sihler

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:54 pm

The third one was a beta. I recently upgraded it to be more easily readable (I did a few things to accomplish this). It's not published in a screen shot considering that I still might find some things to improve it.

Return to Site Feedback