Criteria for locking a topic

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
ScottHanson

Criteria for locking a topic

by ScottHanson » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:56 pm

I see a couple of topics this morning that have been "locked" to further edits or replies. What criteria do the elves use to "lock" a topic?
Thanks,
Scott

mrchad9

Re: Criteria for locking a topic

by mrchad9 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:21 pm

A couple or just one?

If the discussion is hopelessly off topic from the OP, is no longer productive, no longer related to climbing, is no longer on a topic appropriate for the general forums, or is primarily centered around making comments about someone who is not here then that might be a good candidate for locking. If it is all of those then maybe an even better candidate.

If you want to reach out to someone then that is best done directly. Contact information is available. Do you really think it would be constructive or appropriate to carry on that discussion?

brichardsson

by brichardsson » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:14 pm

mrchad9 wrote:If the discussion is hopelessly off topic from the OP, is no longer productive, no longer related to climbing, is no longer on a topic appropriate for the general forums, or is primarily centered around making comments about someone who is not here then that might be a good candidate for locking. If it is all of those then maybe an even better candidate.

If you want to reach out to someone then that is best done directly. Contact information is available. Do you really think it would be constructive or appropriate to carry on that discussion?

i am assuming the op in this thread was referring to the thread with/about pete, and i am assuming your response is in regards to that. if i am incorrect, then i apologize.

having said that, the thread in question long ago derailed from the original question, which was, what are some good guidebooks for sps peaks? none of the planning to meet (and the aftermath thereof) had anything to do with sps guidebooks.

it could have been locked long before it was, or moved to the "partners" section of the forum, or it could have been moved into the ethics, spray, and slander section.

just because it's off topic from the OP doesn't mean anything.

and there are at least a couple other folks who used to visit here who frequently get mocked, so i don't see that as being a legitimate issue, either.
Don't try to argue with idiots. You aren't the dumbass whisperer.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:20 pm

If you see any other posts that appear inappropriate then you are welcome to flag them. Just use that little icon next to the thanks button.

brichardsson

by brichardsson » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:49 pm

i'm a hands off kinda guy. as far as i'm concerned, folks should be able to say pretty much whatever they want, and if i don't want to read it, i don't have to.

i realize that not everyone shares that opinion, however.

but my point is, there is lots and lots of other stuff that slides by here, so locking the specific topic wasn't really...consistent, shall we say?

The following user would like to thank brichardsson for this post
norco17

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:04 pm

You definitely can not say pretty much whatever you want. The forum rules are very clear on that. Nothing slides especially in the general forums. That'll be the last I will say on the topic. Scott's question was answered, you just don't like the answer.

brichardsson

by brichardsson » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:19 pm

it has nothing to do with whether i like the answer. it has to do with whether the answer is accurate or not. i realize that policy is *supposed to* exist, but it is not evenly enforced, not even close to it. i realize you've said your bit, so this doesn't require a response. but saying "nothing slides" is not even close to being true.

ScottHanson

by ScottHanson » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:57 pm

The two current topics that show as locked are 1. Summitpost Forum Rules for Participants and 2. Guide Books for SPS Peaks. I am not necessarily lobbying for either of these or any other topic to be locked or unlocked. I was only asking how the powers that be decide if and when to lock a topic. Maybe it is kind of subjective, and that is OK too. I think the "Guide Books" topic could have logically been locked a week ago and I would have readily accepted it. Maybe there is a correlation between the number of replies and the likelihood of getting off track. Maybe we should have a 10 reply limit to a topic. Haha!

Thanks,
Scott

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:26 am

I have to take my hat off to chad!! He was at the forefront of starting what he now able stop. And he has handled the transition well. Congrats chad, and I'm being serious.

Return to Site Feedback