Mount Hood in mid-October: conditions and routes

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
Jarpup

Mount Hood in mid-October: conditions and routes

by Jarpup » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:02 pm

Hi all,
First: I did a search to see if there were similar questions posted, but didn't find any. If this is a repeat, though, my apologies.

I'll be in Portland in the middle of October and would love to get over and climb Mount Hood. So first: can anyone share their experiences climbing Hood in October (snow conditions, weather, rock fall, etc)? Second, what route recommendations would you make this time of year? It's my first time on Hood so I'm looking for more conservative routes (no pro needed, but suitable for ice axe/tool and crampon use). I'm a mid-level climber, and pretty conservative.

I really appreciate any local beta. Thank you!

Chris

ExcitableBoy

Re: Mount Hood in mid-October: conditions and routes

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:24 pm

Generally speaking, by October the volcanoes are at their lowest snow levels. On Hood this is important as the mountain is a huge pile of choss. Winter snow and ice are the only things holding the mountain together. After the snow and ice melts, there is nothing holding the 'rock' together and rockfall becomes a huge issue.

That said, this fall has been wet and cold and lots of snow has already fallen. It is conceivable that enough snow would have fallen and the weather would have been cold enough to create reasonable conditions by mid October. If there has been enough melt-freeze cycles and the weather decent for your trip, it may be ok.

In terms of route selection, the South Side/Hogsback is the standard route and has a short approach. It requires an ice axe and crampons. There are other, steeper routes, but most require some glacier travel which is not recommended if you are by your lonesome. If you don't mind soloing on glaciers and want to climb something steeper (i.e. requiring two tools) the Leuthold's Couloir is a step up from the South Side and Reid Glacier Headwall a step up from Leuthold's. All of these routes are approached from the same trail head.

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
Jarpup

Jarpup

by Jarpup » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:48 pm

I climbed Hood early Wednesday morning and the conditions were fantastic. Snow was nice and consolidated and I made good time. The bergschrund looked huge (pictures to come) so I opted to go around to the west of it then up. Wow does it get airy up that way!

The following user would like to thank Jarpup for this post
dskoon, splattski

dskoon

by dskoon » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:46 pm

Jarpup wrote:I climbed Hood early Wednesday morning and the conditions were fantastic. Snow was nice and consolidated and I made good time. The bergschrund looked huge (pictures to come) so I opted to go around to the west of it then up. Wow does it get airy up that way!

Good on you!
I take it then coverage was good?

no avatar
splattski

by splattski » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:52 pm

Thanks for the report!

Jarpup

by Jarpup » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:05 am

Snow coverage was great. There were a few bare spots just above the lodge, but beyond that it was solid all the way up. It warmed up just enough by mid-morning to soften the snow a little for a nice descent. Hood rocks!

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:03 pm

Glad it worked out for you!

Jarpup

by Jarpup » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:22 pm

Thanks guys. I posted some pics and a brief trip report. South Side of Mount Hood in October or something like that. Wish I lived closer; Hood is a great mountain!

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)