Cooper Spur, South Side descent. First week of March

Find climbing partners in the Pacific Northwest.
Jarpup

Cooper Spur, South Side descent. First week of March

by Jarpup » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:17 pm

Hi all,
I'm looking to climb the Cooper Spur, ideally with someone who has done the route before. My best window is the first week of March, though other dates might be possible. Drop me a line if interested.
Chris

no avatar
ElectricEric

Re: Cooper Spur, South Side descent. First week of March

by ElectricEric » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:41 am

Done it a couple times and can't wait to do it again. I'm a local though so dates are flexible too. My recommendation if you don't mind me saying is if its possible try to knock Mt Hood while youre here too.

Haven't been to Ann Arbor in years, got a lot of family out there though. Small world.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Edit: Thought of something, March here the road to the campsite is more than likely going to be closed due to snow. While this isn't something that'll end a trip it will more than likely add a day of snow travel, hopefully with no post holing. Just a heads up for planning purposes.

Jarpup

by Jarpup » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:15 pm

So you've climbed the Cooper Spur on Hood?

Ben Beckerich

by Ben Beckerich » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:23 am

I haven't climbed it, but I've come down it a couple times. Are you approaching from the south or north?
where am i going... and why am i in this handbasket?

Jarpup

by Jarpup » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:48 am

I'm planning to approach from the north and descend via the south side. Ideally I'd like to go pretty light (weather dependent) and not bivy/camp on the way. But Eric, I also hear you on the road conditions and the potential for a long walk in after parking. So that's a possible wild card.

I'm open to other routes as well, or even multiple climbs that week since I'll be flying into Portland and want to make the most of the time I get on the mountain.

Ben Beckerich

by Ben Beckerich » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:28 pm

Its not a possible long walk- it's a guarantee you'll be doing a 5 mile approach from 3,700'. The road is never open that early.

A very fun alternative is to traverse out around the east side of the mountain from the south, climb the north, then descend the crater back to Timberline. It's a big loop, and covers a LOT less distance, gain, and then you end up right back at your own car.

The Newton-Clark does crack, so roping up is best. But it's Hood.... hidden crevasses just aren't the threat they are on bigger, harsher peaks.

Ben Beckerich

by Ben Beckerich » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:28 pm

Skis for the win.

Ben Beckerich

by Ben Beckerich » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:38 pm

6.25 miles from the parking lot to the summit, approaching from the north. Not horrible, by Cascade climbing standards- but more than I like to do without a sleep, when we're looking at that kind of elevation gain.

Jarpup

by Jarpup » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:41 am

East side loop sounds appealing. It's that a one day option? Or sleep along the way?
I need skis; all I have are slow shoes right now

Ben Beckerich

by Ben Beckerich » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:52 am

One day- it's a much shorter day than coming from the north, and most people don't bivy coming from the north. You get a workout coming up out of White River Canyon and getting up and over the Wy'East spur, but if you cut across the White River down closer to 7000', it's a lot easier from a cardio standpoint. Seems like most people have trouble figuring out where to cross that low, though, and miss it. You can cross again at about 8700 or 8900 or so.

Keep in mind the White River glacier also cracks. I'd recommend roping up before crossing, if you cross high. I've crossed it solo a few times, if that tells you anything.. but if you have a partner and have a rope, might as well use 'em.

Return to US - Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)