trap dike in winter

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
kylenicolls

trap dike in winter

by kylenicolls » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:06 pm

Hey, so can anyone give me a ballpark figure as to about when there is a solid foundation of ice (typically) up in the Adirondacks? Planning on going up there but would like to spare myself the drive if there will be thaw at the base. Seems the temps are getting more consistently below 32 F at this point. SUppose to be below for the next 10 days at Lake Placid, so seems promising.

THanks.

divnamite

Re: trap dike in winter

by divnamite » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:09 pm

kylenicolls wrote:Hey, so can anyone give me a ballpark figure as to about when there is a solid foundation of ice (typically) up in the Adirondacks? Planning on going up there but would like to spare myself the drive if there will be thaw at the base. Seems the temps are getting more consistently below 32 F at this point. SUppose to be below for the next 10 days at Lake Placid, so seems promising.

THanks.

"Sun. 12-8 The dike is in fantastic condition right now with good ice top to bottom and little snow. The slab above is in good condition with 1/2 to 2 inches of ice and easier neve on the margins. Avalanche Lake safe to cross. Slop N' Sweat, Adirondike and Avalanche Mt. Gully are also in."

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:07 pm

The Dike is at much higher elevation than the valley climbs, and is extremely sheltered from sunlight. It's usually in from some point in November until mid-April.

In February or March it's mostly a snow slog, with some short ice steps. Now is my favorite time to do it - it'll be pretty much all ice from lake to summit. Much more committing and serious, but much more enjoyable, in my opinion.

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:55 pm

That's PERFECT.

Luc

by Luc » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:09 pm

Catamount wrote:I guess everyone has a different definition of what constitutes "good" conditions. Here is a TR from Sunday on another site.

http://forums.adkhighpeaks.com/showthread.php?t=23380

That looks amazing!

kylenicolls

by kylenicolls » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:20 pm

Much appreciated! I'll have to plan this by the end of the month on a good day.

kylenicolls

by kylenicolls » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:13 pm

This was Christmas Eve. Day was good, could have been more ice, though. Forecast said single digits. The lake was frozen over still, despite the recent warm-spell that I narrowly avoided. I didn't cross where the runoff spills in, ice looked thin on the east side. I went a little farther down to cross and seemed A-ok.

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)