Value of used gear

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
WyomingSummits

Value of used gear

by WyomingSummits » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:57 pm

It still puzzles me the value some people place on used equipment. Sorry, but a $5 discount on a used cam that you claim has never taken a fall is NOT worth the risk.....I'll spring for the extra $5 for a new one. Climbing equipment is the same as most other things.....when the tags are removed, car is driven off the lot for a week, etc......THE VALUE GOES DOWN. I don't know of a whole lot of people perusing yard sales looking to pay retail.....but that's exactly what some people listing their used climbing gear are expecting. Not everyone does this.....but there are a few that make me scratch my head. Then a year later they're wondering why their gear hasn't sold. Lol....to each their own. It's not "wrong".....just odd! :)

ExcitableBoy

Re: Value of used gear

by ExcitableBoy » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:24 pm

I find that 50% off retail is for used items in good condition is about right.

mountainsandsound

by mountainsandsound » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:03 am

It is pretty funny. Ebay can be ridiculous. There are people that search craigslists nationwide looking to score deals on things that are actually reasonably priced- then they try to sell them on ebay for inflated prices. Their market is big enough, so they must figure that they can find some idiot, even if they have to keep the auction going for a month or longer. I had one such person from CO call me up about some gear I had listed in craigslist, asked if I'd ship it to him. No thanks dude. Get a real job.

BigMitch

by BigMitch » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:24 am

Completely agree, some sellers don't have a clue what their gear is worth but expect to get out what they paid for it. They don't bother doing a google search of the item on sale from a store or a completed sale search on eBay. Go figure.

Matt Lemke

by Matt Lemke » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:17 am

Actually when it comes to cams, nuts, etc most people, including myself will buy them used. It's very hard to completely screw one up without it being visually noticeable although I won't buy a used one for just 5 dollars off the retail. If it was half price (which many used cams on craigslist sell for) I will buy them.

Soft gear like harnesses, slings, webbing etc I won't buy used though, and don't recommend anyone do so.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:43 am

I bought 3 used ice screws this week for $20 a pop. I think it was worth it. :) Here's the type of ice screw:

Camera equipment is debatable depending on the condition and what kind of equipment. My latest camera I got used for slightly less than $200 which was totally worth it! :D The quality is so much better than my former point and shoots. So in the end I'm left with the mind set "don't under estimate the value of used gear". :) But if I'm buying a used cam I better get more than a $5 discount. :wink:

BigMitch

by BigMitch » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:26 am

If you want a camera, I have an old Minolta Maxum circa 1985 that i was thinking of throwing out!

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:53 am

Don't throw it out, give it to some passionate kid who loves photography. :) I've had times when I was very young and wished I owned a camera. As for right now I am spoiled when it comes to using only good cameras. 8) I've had a lot of blurry pics from bad cameras as well as terrible contrast. Matt Lemke can testify that about my camera before I got my latest one.

adventurer

by adventurer » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:11 pm

The value of used gear is determined by the price agreed between the seller and the buyer just like anything else such as a car, electronics, etc. The "asking" price of anything means nothing until the item sells.
"When you travel, if you avoid the people, reject the food, ignore the customs, and fear the religion..... you might as well stay home"
James A. Michener

The following user would like to thank adventurer for this post
Woodie Hopper

no avatar
Victoriamatt

by Victoriamatt » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:54 am

Case in point:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Western-Mountain ... 1e8701ecd9

An unidentified western mountaineering sleeping bag that is more than 10 years old with an asking price the same as a new one. i know that WM hold their value and last, but I just got an overstuffed Lynx MF for $655 (shout out to Hermits Hut) and they want $600? I stumbled across an Arcteryx jacket the other day on a gearswap page that had seen a full season of use and was only like $40 off retail; people are crazy.

no avatar
K2

by K2 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:27 am

Victoriamatt wrote:Case in point:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Western-Mountain ... 1e8701ecd9

An unidentified western mountaineering sleeping bag that is more than 10 years old with an asking price the same as a new one. i know that WM hold their value and last, but I just got an overstuffed Lynx MF for $655 (shout out to Hermits Hut) and they want $600? I stumbled across an Arcteryx jacket the other day on a gearswap page that had seen a full season of use and was only like $40 off retail; people are crazy.

It's even more crazy that there are actually people willing to buy it! Several years ago somebody listed a used Nikon D40 dslr body on ebay at a price actually slightly higher than the street price for the new one (if you know how to use google search and have internet access). I was really puzzled and sent the dude a message like 'WTF, dude?' You know what? He actually sold the camera. Then I realized that in most part of the world, this camera body was sold much more expensive than here in the states. People in Eu or other regions actually may still think it was a decent deal for them.

Be thankful for the fact that we still live in a relatively free country and don't let it be taken away.

ChrisJahn

by ChrisJahn » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:08 am

What, the breaking in work isn't worth a damn anymore? Nothing like a musty down bag or used leather boots and no telling where they'd been or used by who but what more proof you need they actually work. Same goes with a new car, suckers! I can let go a pair of long johns size M that have been on a few expeditions and the good luck hasn't been washed out yet so hurry up and get them for 100 bucks (virgin NZ wool/definitely not virgin Llama blend). Freedom is an old willy sock! Culture is a crusty handkerchief you'll never dare pull apart. And the women love a well cultured man, who may be stingy, but filthy rich and knows his fine wines and cheese.

Fletch

by Fletch » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:22 pm

ExcitableBoy wrote:I find that 50% off retail is for used items in good condition is about right.

I agree on this and try to price accordingly... stuff just doesn't move at anything higher (nor should it really)...

But it's only worth what someone will pay for it...

Actually went back and modified some of my classifieds... Thanks.

Return to Gear