Boundary/Montgomery

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
ExploreABitMore

Boundary/Montgomery

by ExploreABitMore » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:40 pm

Hello,

Has anybody been out to Boundary/Montgomery recently, specifically the approach via Queen Canyon. Just wondering how much snow these guys have with this wierd winter we're having. I'm guessing they got a significant amount with the recent snow, though?

Thanks!

fedak

Re: Boundary/Montgomery

by fedak » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:04 pm

I drove through Montgomery Pass a few weeks back and the peaks were looking very very dry back then.
This was before the recent storms tho.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://www.fedak.net/backcountry.html

The following user would like to thank fedak for this post
ExploreABitMore

ExploreABitMore

by ExploreABitMore » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:22 pm

fedak wrote:I drove through Montgomery Pass a few weeks back and the peaks were looking very very dry back then.
This was before the recent storms tho.

Thanks Fedak. I'm guessing a cpl weeks late for that easy "winter" jaunt up Boundary I was thinking of not too long ago.

jfrishmanIII

by jfrishmanIII » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:41 pm

Maybe someone from Bishop will chime in with a more direct observation, but here's what I know. The southern half of the Whites still looks VERY dry on the west side, some patchy snow beginning around 11,000', but no solid coverage even on White Mountain Peak. The range does look somewhat snowier from the Fish Lake side, with snow in the shady spots almost down to valley level, and more higher up. The recent storms didn't do a whole lot. I haven't seen Boundary with my own eyes in a while now, but I think there's a strong possibility it would be okay this weekend.

The following user would like to thank jfrishmanIII for this post
ExploreABitMore

Deb

by Deb » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:28 am

The western aspect is probably too steep to hold much snow. I would expect patchy coverage from Queen Mine with some post-hole possibilty over 11K. There's definitely snow up there, I see it everyday. Good 4WD will most likely get you to Queen Mine will no problem. Traversing to Montgomery will be the most "exciting" section (snow). ;)

The following user would like to thank Deb for this post
ExploreABitMore

ExploreABitMore

by ExploreABitMore » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:45 am

Deb wrote:The western aspect is probably too steep to hold much snow. I would expect patchy coverage from Queen Mine with some post-hole possibilty over 11K. There's definitely snow up there, I see it everyday. Good 4WD will most likely get you to Queen Mine will no problem. Traversing to Montgomery will be the most "exciting" section (snow). ;)

Thanks Deb. Sounds like a little more snow than I was looking for, but it is Winter. Time to retreat to the desert in shame :oops:

Return to California