Annapurna Region - Tilichu Lake and Thorung Ri

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
bpeters55

Annapurna Region - Tilichu Lake and Thorung Ri

by bpeters55 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:14 pm

In April of this year I'm trekking the Manaslu Circuit (15 days). At the end of the Manaslu Circuit, where it meets up with the Annapurna Circuit in Dharapani, I’m going to head north to Manang. The rest of the group will continue south and finish the Manaslu trek in Bhulbhule with our guide Ram.

It’ll take me several days to reach Manang (3520m). From there, my plan is to trek into Tilicho Lake (4949m) and back out again (2 Days). Then trek to Thorong La Pass (5416m) and summit Thorong Ri (6144m) (3-4 Days). From there I plan to descent to Jomsom (3 Days) and fly to Pokhara or Kathmandu. All total it’ll take 12 - 14 days. Or I may just hike out to Pokhara, instead of flying.

If anyone wishes to join me to climb Thorung Ri and/or trek to Tilichu Lake, please let me know.

Barry Peters
Pine Grove, Nova Scotia, Canada
http://www.basapete.com

fatdad

Re: Annapurna Region - Tilichu Lake and Thorung Ri

by fatdad » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:50 pm

Sounds like a fun trip. I wish I had taken the time to go to Tilicho Lake when in Manang. We spent a rest day there, but really felt like resting so didn't go exploring. I think 3 day is probably a max for Thorang Ri, which looks non trivial. I remember thinking I would lug mt. boots, crampons and some tools to climb it but distinctly remember looking at it from the pass and thinking 'no thanks', by myself at least. Assuming you summit, the descent to Jomson is two days max. Most make easily to Muktinath from Phedi in a day, and you'll only be descending. From there, Jomson is a half day at most.

One thing to consider checking out if you're in Jomson is a trip to Mustang. You walk right by it, and I absolutely kick myself for not going when I was there.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:08 pm

One thing to consider checking out if you're in Jomson is a trip to Mustang. You walk right by it, and I absolutely kick myself for not going when I was there.

Keep in mind that now there is a road through Muztang and the permit is $500US to enter.

fatdad

by fatdad » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:17 am

I heard they completed most of the road that parallels the Annapurna Circuit (that was the subject of a lengthy debate in another thread), but I did not hear that it was extended up into Mustang. Wouldn't be surprised. Probably still worth checking out if you're in the neighborhood.

bpeters55

by bpeters55 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:00 pm

Two guys are joining me on the trek to Tilichu Lake and summit of Thorung Ri: John from Australia and Wayne from Canada. We've decided to trek out to Pokhara from Jomsom, instead of flying. It'll take an extra 5 - 7 days. Wish us luck.

I would very much like to trek the Mustang Region, but a $500 permit is way out of my price range.

The road had reached Muktinath, when I was there in 2010. But there was no sign of a road being built into the Mustang. However, that may have changed. I'll check it out in April and report back.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:27 pm

I heard they completed most of the road that parallels the Annapurna Circuit (that was the subject of a lengthy debate in another thread), but I did not hear that it was extended up into Mustang. Wouldn't be surprised. Probably still worth checking out if you're in the neighborhood.

Actually I thought the road through Muztang was before the road that covers much of the Annapurna Circuit. The Chinese built it from the Tibet side, top down through the Muztang

selinunte01

by selinunte01 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:21 pm

They still try to complete the road starting at Besisahar and going up all the Marshyangdi valley to Manang. It is said that acutally they are working between Brathang and Pisang, cutting the road into the rocks.
There is no road from this side of the Annapurna circuit into Mustang valley.

I, too, will be in the area in April with some friends, trekking on the "normal" circuit from Besisahar to Jomsom with a longer stay at Manang and maybe a "detour" to Tilicho lake. I can check and report the actual situation in may.
Michael

bpeters55

by bpeters55 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:31 pm

I just received this from my Nepalese friend in Kathmandu: Yes Barry, there is a road in Mustang. Pokhara to Muktinath road is also in Mustang district, and there is even a road to Upper Mustang, but they have not started driving there. As you already know, they drive till Kagbeni.
Ram

fatdad

by fatdad » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:23 pm

bpeters55 wrote: We've decided to trek out to Pokhara from Jomsom, instead of flying. It'll take an extra 5 - 7 days. Wish us luck.

Well worth doing. Marpha, Tatopani, Dharipani (sp?), the views of Dhaulagiri and Annapurna are breathtaking through there. Granted, by the time we had hiked most of the circuit, we skipped Poon Hill at the end (anything to avoid uphill at that point), but that area should not be missed. Though it was all foot path when I did it--just yaks and the occasional trekker or Nepali walking between villages--so it may have a pretty different feel now.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:59 pm

Though it was all foot path when I did it--just yaks and the occasional trekker or Nepali walking between villages--so it may have a pretty different feel now.

Weird. Not to get too far off topic, but which part of the trail had yaks on it? I assume on the pass? Yaks typically aren't used in the Annapurna region since it's too warm (above Mukinath or Manang it might be cool enough). They actually usually die hauling loads at low elevations. We never saw yaks there and told they were not used there. You have me curious.

fatdad

by fatdad » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:24 pm

There were some south of the trail of Marpha if I remember correctly. I was kind of surprised to see them as well, since most of the one we saw on the trip were higher up on the other side of the pass (past Manang heading up toward Phedi). I remember seeing some on a hillside before the trail crossed a large bridge over the river. Very pretty, kind of wooded area. I took a couple of pictures. If I can find the slide (clearly dating myself), I'll scan and send.

bpeters55

by bpeters55 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:37 pm

Yaks typically aren't used in the Annapurna region since it's too warm.

I took these pictures in Marpha in 2011. I believe they are yaks, but not the longhaired ones you see further up in the Himalayas. I also saw yaks being used on the Manang side, but no lower than that.
Attachments
PB160339.jpg
PB160339.jpg (59.08 KiB) Viewed 6138 times
PB160337.jpg
PB160337.jpg (75.79 KiB) Viewed 6138 times

The following user would like to thank bpeters55 for this post
Scott

radson

by radson » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:44 pm

Pretty sure they are not Yak but Dzos in the Marpha pics.

The following user would like to thank radson for this post
bpeters55

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:33 am

Dozens of these up above Jomsom last year. This one is just a baby ;-)
Attachments
IMG_2900.jpg
IMG_2900.jpg (224.17 KiB) Viewed 6095 times

radson

by radson » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:47 am

Saw a bunch of baby ones in Dingboche in November. Was interesting to see how playful and inquisitive they are before they spend a lifetime of carting shit up and down hills.

Next

Return to Asia