Used Ice Tools?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
moonspots

Used Ice Tools?

by moonspots » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:22 pm

I *think* I'm wanting to buy a used ice tool for some scrambling on glaciers this summer (and beyond). Not intending to do any serious ice climbing, but just crossing various late summer cracks and so on..(no, not going by myself yet, still enough a novice to pay the guides).

So my question is, what should I watch for? Good thinks to consider, bad things to avoid (like is there any hazard to buying used ice tools like buying used soft gear)?

I *love* gadgets, and climbing/hiking is a new experience for me, so for occasional (if ever), use, what would be a suitable tool, and what's a reasonable price, in good or better condition?

Ideas, advice?

ChrisJahn

Re: Used Ice Tools?

by ChrisJahn » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:45 pm

Hi, check out the Petzl Aztar, versatile and affordable tools. They are light and you can climb leashless/umbilical if you prefer. Spare picks can be found on Amazon. They were my first set and would never get rid of them but I wouldn't be surprised to find used ones in good condition. The Aztar hammer/technical ice axe combination is my favorite on moderate terrain. They fit nicely in a Lowe Alpine tool bag. Love these little guys.

Never get rid of your tools!

nartreb

by nartreb » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:21 am

For glacier crossing you don't want an ice "tool", you want an ice "axe".

You want something long enough to comfortably use as a cane while walking, and that you can hold with two hands in self-arrest position. Something with a straight shaft for use as a snow anchor. Something with a pick shape designed for self-arrest.

Something like the BD Raven - light, simple, cheap. Get or make a leash, wrap the head with something insulating, and you're done.

Used axes should be available at a steep discount. An axe might be $80 to $100 new, so you should easily be able to find one used around $50 or $60.

I have no hesitation at buying a used axe. There's not much that might go wrong - If it's chipped and battered and even a little rusty, it's still going to work fine. Maybe the pick could use a little sharpening, that's easy to do.

An aztar is a fine climbing tool, but it's not the best choice for glacier travel. Just for comparison's sake, though, a similar new model would go for something like $250 per tool; used aztars can be found online around $250 a pair.

moonspots

by moonspots » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:30 am

nartreb wrote:For glacier crossing you don't want an ice "tool", you want an ice "axe".

Right, I have a couple. What I'm considering is something in addition to the axe for use if/when some exploring leads me to something more toward vertical (and doesn't have a hole at the bottom to fall into - yikes!).

Your comment about used being ok, is what I wanted to know. That seemed like it ought to be, but had to ask anyway.

nartreb wrote:Something like the BD Raven - light, simple, cheap...

I bought one this Christmas, and wrapped it with some self sticking electrical tape I found at Home Depot. Grips well.

Thanks for the insights.

clmbr

by clmbr » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:28 am

nartreb wrote:For glacier crossing you don't want an ice "tool", you want an ice "axe".

That is subjective. All depend what glacier and how you want to cross it. Check out some videos on youtube to see what people use.

moonspots

by moonspots » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:22 pm

clmbr wrote:

That is subjective. All depend what glacier and how you want to cross it. Check out some videos on youtube to see what people use.

I've been doing that (and if watched carefully, there are good things to notice, and to learn).

Thank you all for the opinions.

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:33 pm

If you want, I can sell you my Grievel Light Machines for 150$+shipping. I think its a great deal. They are lighter, better and more aggressive than Prophets. You an cross glaciers and use them to climb ice if you ever choose to. Also, they were signed by Fred Beckey..

Yeti

by Yeti » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:40 pm

My current fleet of ice axes and ice tools are all used, and they all perform outstandingly.

What you're looking for is a safe tool above all else, so look at the construction of the tool and gauge whether or not it's holding together or falling apart. For example, my favorite alpine ax is my BD Raven, but I'll retire it the moment it seems like the roll pins that hold it together are loosening.

Grab the head and shaft and do a bunch of twisting a pulling, listen for any ticking or noises of looseness. Look for dents in the shaft material that may compromise its rigidity. Look at the head and make sure there's no cracking or deep rust inclusions. Make sure no one has used it as a fire poker and ruined its heat treatment.

I'd avoid used axes and tools with composite shafts, unless you're really good at inspecting those for cracks, splits, or other weak points. I'd consider an owner-painted shaft to be an attempt to hide delamination/damage... I tend to be suspicious when safety is involved.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:51 am

Personally I feel used ice tools work fine. :) I suppose you could make sure it's sharp enough. :wink:

Return to Gear