advice needed on Alps

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
mikeyc88

advice needed on Alps

by mikeyc88 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:01 am

I am looking for some advice, me and my partner are looking at going to the Alps in summer for a few days and doing an alpine intro style course. 
We both have some experience in the UK but have not done anything abroad. 
Both been only young and recently buying our first house means we don't have much money! 
We are looking at driving and camping to save money but the guide is going to cost the most even for 3 days it is a lot of money for us to pay.

Do you have any advice on how to keep things cheap? We have looked at staying in Saas Grund as you get a free lift pass if you stay in the area, plus there is some "easier" 4000m peaks there which we could do with a guide. 

So ideas on how to keep things cheap as poss and any cheap guides out there???? 

P.s I understand the guides need to make a living out there though. 

Thanks in advance for any help

no avatar
Flachlandtiroler

Re: advice needed on Alps

by Flachlandtiroler » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:45 am

As you're based in Saastal:

For sure you can go hiking on your own and there are lots of interesting things to do 8)
- visit e.g. Mischabelhütte, Jegihorn, Monte Moro/Joderhorn (views of Monte Rosa Wall, on of the largest in thealps), ...
- if you're into Scrambling, try e.g. the Egginer (360° view!)
- if you're into rock climbing, try eg. Dri Hörnli site at Almageller hut or the multipitch sport routes at Jegihorn
- the classic 4k peaks for beginners are Weissmies from Almageller hut and (very much depending on the route conditions) the Lagginhorn
- Allalinhorn is also very easy, but it's glaciated (see below)
- Alphubel same but much worse concerning crevasses -- disrecommended from the Saastal side!
- Strahlhorn same but much worse concerning crevasses

Disclaimer:
As long as you don't know better, keep off from glaciers; check the weather forecast and leave a notice at the camp, where you intend to go...

Return to Europe