Porcupine Mountains MI

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Heartland of the America. Hey, this includes Arkansas. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Midwest US Climbing Partners section.
Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Sat May 09, 2009 11:26 pm

Well, I'd go backpacking since it's not exactly a world-class climbing destination. I don't think mountain bikes are allowed because it's a wilderness. But you could bike around it on the access roads.

This TR reports a good 20-mile backpacking loop. For two nights, start at the Escarpment lot and camp here overlooking Lake of the Clouds a mile or so in (bring water); then the second night along Lake Superior -- Backpacker magazine says this site is the best place to go skinny dipping in the United States. (It will be cold, but you're a tough guy.) Then it's about four miles out the last day.

The whole park is likely to be muddy.

dwhike probably has more ideas.

Why on earth are you going to the UP for Memorial Day??

bluffview

by bluffview » Thu May 14, 2009 1:49 pm

The little black flies have made their appearance over the last several days, woodticks too. I would imagine the mosquitoes wil be out in force the first sunny day after this rainy/cloudy weather we've had the last couple of days. It's not all bad, plan to camp on the lakeshore and hopefully there will be enough of a breeze to keep the buzzing, flying critters at bay.

aedwards

by aedwards » Thu May 14, 2009 3:42 pm

I heard one time that there's climbing further north by Copper Harbor, but never got any real info on it.

I'd say backpacking around the park is a good choice.

If you're into fishing the rivers are great, and early in the year, I've caught nice trout & salmon on Superior casting from shore.

And make sure you jump in the lake! BRR!

dwhike

by dwhike » Thu May 14, 2009 5:29 pm

aedwards wrote:I heard one time that there's climbing further north by Copper Harbor, but never got any real info on it.

Check out stinkycheezeman33's Cliffs page. They're located about halfway between Houghton and Copper Harbor. It's a very pretty area though, as I'm not a climber, I don't have any good technical info on it.

dwhike

by dwhike » Thu May 14, 2009 5:37 pm

bluffview wrote:The little black flies have made their appearance over the last several days, woodticks too. I would imagine the mosquitoes wil be out in force the first sunny day after this rainy/cloudy weather we've had the last couple of days. It's not all bad, plan to camp on the lakeshore and hopefully there will be enough of a breeze to keep the buzzing, flying critters at bay.

Beware the Demon Flies!! No Deet can harm them! :twisted:

The Stable Fly...god, I hate them...sincerely hope you don't run into any!

aedwards

by aedwards » Thu May 14, 2009 6:12 pm

dwhike wrote:
aedwards wrote:I heard one time that there's climbing further north by Copper Harbor, but never got any real info on it.

Check out stinkycheezeman33's Cliffs page. They're located about halfway between Houghton and Copper Harbor. It's a very pretty area though, as I'm not a climber, I don't have any good technical info on it.

Looks pretty decent.
I might have to bring some gear up there next time I visit my folks. :D

sierraman

by sierraman » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:54 pm

no submission

mountainhare

Re: Porcupine Mountains MI

by mountainhare » Tue May 06, 2014 2:07 am

What did you do today? Well I responded to a thread nearly five years old...

This thread talks about stable flies and generically-termed black flies "making their appearance" within a few days of May 14 on the calendar. I have personally put myself through black fly misery (not on purpose) by visiting the Porkies around the May 29/30 calendar dates before. My question: will the harsh winter of 2013-2014 delay the black fly emergence at all? I am considering the drive north sometime soon, but not at the cost of blood again.

Enkidu

by Enkidu » Tue May 06, 2014 7:51 am

I'm in Ontario at about the same latitude with a similar climate. No bugs yet and many of the lakes are still frozen. Superior also still has substantial ice in places and there is enough snow left on unmaintained roads so as to make vehicle travel tricky. I would guess things are running about 2 weeks late at this point.

This photo was taken 2 days ago by a friend:

One caveat - if we get few a warm days in a row (haven't yet) than all bets are off. By warm I mean daytime highs over 50-55F.
Bring a compass. It's awkward when you have to eat your friends

mountainhare

by mountainhare » Wed May 07, 2014 1:19 am

Wow I have not seen snow for several weeks. Good stuff. I wouldn't mind trading the flies for some slush if that was in the cards; I guess we'll see what happens. Thank you for the picture Enkidu.

Return to Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)