Report Bugs Here

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
rgg
Forum Moderator

Re: Report Bugs Here

by rgg » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:08 pm

Good to know that there hasn't been a change.

I was fiddling around with a couple of old custom objects (working on the draft of a new page), and the problem was present in both. The good news is that I just checked again, and the problem has gone away :-). I hope it stays away, in which case a new mountain page will be ready soon. Otherwise I'll report the problem again.

Mind you, I didn't even restart my computer since the problem happened. Perhaps it was something strange in my browser cache at the time. If the problem returns, I'll clean the cache again and check if that solves it before reporting it again.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:10 pm

YouTube videos now break because they swapped to a https: prefix. Here's an example:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNt0anp7WK8[/youtube]

SummitPost's forums should support both http: and https: as well as other variables added on to the url. This is why many folks have given up using the youtube tag. Also note the swap to https: seems to be very recent.

nader

by nader » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:34 pm

I was trying to attach my new "Round Mountain" page to Scott's "La Sal Mountains" range. When I searched for "La sal Mountains" (while trying to attach or just looking for the range) I got the message: No names match your query.

I contacted Scott and he said anything that has "La", "El" etc in its name, will not come up. You must search for "Sal" not "La Sal". He said he has posted this problem before but seemingly nothing has been done to fix it, so I am posting it again.

Thanks.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:30 am

The delete profile image feature is broken. It gives the message "update_user_image() failed: DB Error: constraint violation". Someone reported this to me which I am able to confirm this issue.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:29 am

Thanks Matt, that fixed the issue. :)

lisae

by lisae » Tue May 13, 2014 2:07 am

What am I doing wrong? I have been unable to post images.

rgg
Forum Moderator

by rgg » Tue May 13, 2014 2:34 pm

lisae wrote:What am I doing wrong? I have been unable to post images.

It still works fine on my end. I just posted two images, in two different ways: first as a new image for an existing page, then simply by starting with Create Page (the leftmost item on the menu at the very top) and selecting Image as the page type. Both images got uploaded quickly, so that proves that there isn't anything wrong with SP itself.

If you still have problems, perhaps you can describe what exactly happens on your end when you try posting an image, especially any error message that you might get, and by which way you're trying to post it?

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Tue May 13, 2014 2:42 pm

lisae wrote:What am I doing wrong? I have been unable to post images.

How large is the file? Do you have a new camera with lots of MP?

Yesterday I was trying to upload photos from an 18 MP camera, and I kept getting a blank screen. Then I remembered the maximum upload size on SP is 8 MB, so I downsized the photos and they uploaded just fine.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

The following user would like to thank Bob Sihler for this post
lisae

lisae

by lisae » Tue May 13, 2014 7:49 pm

Bob Sihler wrote:
How large is the file? Do you have a new camera with lots of MP?

Yesterday I was trying to upload photos from an 18 MP camera, and I kept getting a blank screen. Then I remembered the maximum upload size on SP is 8 MB, so I downsized the photos and they uploaded just fine.

Thanks so much! I didn't think about the size of the file. I'll check that.

Mark Doiron

by Mark Doiron » Mon May 19, 2014 9:07 pm

Perhaps I'm remiss in not trying to use the new editor. Well, truth is when it first came out I tried, and there was nothing to edit. I couldn't place my cursor somewhere and type to make the simple changes I needed to make, so I decided I wasn't interested in it--working the HTML or whatever was just easier. I could place my cursor somewhere and type and what I typed appeared on the screen. But, I now see that the table on the U.S. National Parks list for the parks has lost all of its white space. Yes, the code is still there, but it makes it very difficult to find what I need to edit when everything is just all smooshed together. :-( Anyway, is this permanent? Should I just resign myself to using something that which some find "easier"? Thanks, guys. I know you're doing your best to improve SP and I do appreciate that.

rgg
Forum Moderator

by rgg » Tue May 20, 2014 4:34 am

Mark Doiron wrote:I now see that the table on the U.S. National Parks list for the parks has lost all of its white space. Yes, the code is still there, but it makes it very difficult to find what I need to edit when everything is just all smooshed together. :-( Anyway, is this permanent? Should I just resign myself to using something that which some find "easier"?

The new editor has a certain features that some might call bugs, and one of those is that it removes what it deems to be unnecessary white space in the HTML code. I like the new editor but don't like that feature either, but that's what happens. I don't consider this particular case a bug though, because HTML is all about tags, and in a lot of cases white space in HTML is meaningless. Consequently, if an editor that renders HTML removes meaningless white space, it doesn't change the meaning of the HTML. I mean, unless you look at the underlying HTML, your list still looks the same, right?

Perhaps it's possible for Matt to tweak the editor somehow so that this doesn't happen anymore in the future, but now that it's gone, it's gone. The only way to avoid this feature is to use only the old editor - but obviously that's too late for your list now.

If it's not too inconvenient, in the future you could just edit the table in the new editor and don't look at the underlying HTML. Alternatively, when updating the list, you could copy and paste the HTML code into an HTML editor that displays the table as a bunch of tags and their content, but with a readable layout (a so-called "html object editor" can do that), make your changes in there and copy and paste the result back. A third option might be to keep a backup on your own computer with the HTML of your table, including all the white space just the way you want it, and whenever you want to edit your page, edit it off line and only then copy the new version into the SP page. In fact, apart for albums, I make backups of all my pages. You never know what might happen to a page in the future.

The following user would like to thank rgg for this post
Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron

by Mark Doiron » Tue May 20, 2014 1:38 pm

Thanks, rgg. I was editing in the old editor only when the white space was lost. I'll make do. Appreciate the suggestions.

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Wed May 28, 2014 11:04 pm

ZeeJay
Forum Moderator

by ZeeJay » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:16 pm

I was trying to add an image but kept getting an obscure error message. It turns out that I had a space at the end of the lat field. So, for instance if I enter "38.41935" everything is fine, but if I enter "38.41935 " it can't handle it. Same thing with the long field. Please either strip spaces at the end of these fields or put up a useful error message.

Matthew Holliman

by Matthew Holliman » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:28 pm

Searching for mountains by distance to a city has recently started giving errors along the lines of "Could not geocode eugene, or", e.g.
http://www.summitpost.org/object_list.p ... bject_name

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback