Mt Mills' East Couloir Conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Deb

Mt Mills' East Couloir Conditions

by Deb » Tue May 20, 2014 3:47 am

Wow! Now I am asking for conditions beta. Mills' east couloir this wkend - anyone been up it lately or got eyes on how the couloir is shaped up? Chockstone coverage?

mrchad9

Re: Mt Mills' East Couloir Conditions

by mrchad9 » Wed May 21, 2014 12:50 am

I don't know about now... but I went a couple years ago when snowline was similar to current conditions. May notes from the trip...

When I got to the chockstone it had 3-4 feet of snow overhanging the top, and a large moat from there to the lower portion when I stood. Not passable.

Headed over to the second couloir 100 feet to the south, followed steep snow nearly to the headwall, then managed to cut over on rock to the normal chute a good ways above the chockstone. Had my lightweight crampons, would have been much better with a larger pair, also next time I won't forget my gloves.

So just saying that if you get there and the chockstone doesn't look good that there are other options to ascend.

Deb

Re: Mt Mills' East Couloir Conditions

by Deb » Sun May 25, 2014 6:45 am

Chockstone is completely covered but snow conditions are kinda treacherous. We made the notch and skipped the summit due to the amount of snow. Sketchy day!
Uninspiring snow conditions.

Return to California