Gem Lake to the JMT

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
repelmen

Gem Lake to the JMT

by repelmen » Wed May 21, 2014 5:38 am

I'm curious about a route from Gem Lake to Banner Ritter saddle via JMT..up? ...to Thousand Island Lake...I've never been in the area ...except for Mammoth lakes. Would a route up from Gem Lake be better than from Agnew Meadows and Idiza.. Any advice is always appreciated..cheers..you friend, Sean

mrchad9

Re: Gem Lake to the JMT

by mrchad9 » Wed May 21, 2014 11:13 pm

I went to the saddle from Gem Lake via Thousand Island Lake and North Glacier Pass and Lake Catherine... but it was years ago. As I remember the view from Lake Catherine was pretty amazing... or maybe it was from Mount Davis. Regardless, I wouldn't hesitate to go that way again. The route isn't difficult at all.

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
repelmen

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Thu May 22, 2014 1:36 am

The Gem Lake route you describe involves about 1,200ft more gain and significantly more miles (about 12 vs. 8 ). Thousand Island Lake is quite scenic and certainly worth a visit. Gem Lake has often been emptied by PG&E to work on the dam and it looks pretty desolate. Personally, I think the view of Ritter/Banner from Shadow Lake is not to be missed.

The following user would like to thank Bob Burd for this post
repelmen

ROL

by ROL » Thu May 22, 2014 7:45 pm

Agreed with Bob. The Gem lake option is an interesting alternative, only easier if you're bypassing Ritter-Banner in favor of Donohue Pass, but it's all good.

Shadow Lake, After the Storm

Minarets, Lake Ediza

Late Thaw, Garnet Lake

Banner Peak and Suncups, 1000 Island Lake

Banner Peak Clearing, Island Pass

Then again, I'm really a dog and only see in black and white.

The following user would like to thank ROL for this post
repelmen

no avatar
repelmen

by repelmen » Fri May 23, 2014 4:43 am

Thank you all for a quick response and great photos ..this helps a bunch as I wait for topos to arrive by mail and reread Secors...ROL the black and whites are wonderful. What camera do you use? and do you set up a static system ..thanks again..Sean

ScottHanson

by ScottHanson » Fri May 23, 2014 3:52 pm

If person's goal was to climb Banner, wouldn't the approach from Catherine Lake rather than Ediza Lake be slightly easier (class 2 rather than class 3; per Secor)? Weigh that against Bob's comments that Gem-Catherine is longer and has more elevation gain.

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Fri May 23, 2014 4:00 pm

ScottHanson wrote:If person's goal was to climb Banner, wouldn't the approach from Catherine Lake rather than Ediza Lake be slightly easier (class 2 rather than class 3; per Secor)? Weigh that against Bob's comments that Gem-Catherine is longer and has more elevation gain.

Even if that were the goal, the distance to Thousand Island Lake is still longer via Gem and the same extra 1,200ft of gain as well.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Sat May 24, 2014 3:44 pm

repelmen wrote:I'm curious about a route from Gem Lake to Banner Ritter saddle via JMT..up? ...to Thousand Island Lake...I've never been in the area ...except for Mammoth lakes. Would a route up from Gem Lake be better than from Agnew Meadows and Idiza.. Any advice is always appreciated..cheers..you friend, Sean

When were planning on going? My wife and I will be there 5/31 - 6/3 (we were suppose to go last Oct. but she bailed).

ROL

by ROL » Thu May 29, 2014 12:48 am

repelmen wrote:...ROL the black and whites are wonderful. What camera do you use? and do you set up a static system ..

Thanks. This is all film, 120 (medium format) and 5x7(") large format. The specific camera makes are irrelevant to most. I print all of my own work. The images are all scans of gelatin silver prints. Static system? If I get your meaning, I can count the number of times I have actually shot off tripod on the fingers of one finger. :wink:

Return to California