Beautiful SHASTA Current Conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Bubba Suess

Re: Beautiful SHASTA Current Conditions

by Bubba Suess » Sat May 31, 2014 2:44 am

Chad, that looks awesome. Your whole route actually looks like a pretty fun way to get to the summit of Shasta, let alone Shastina. Give me a holler next time you are headed up!

clmbr

by clmbr » Sat May 31, 2014 4:37 am

Bubba Suess wrote:Those are some awesome images clmbr!

Thanks.

I’ll soon upload the video. It’s edited but needs to be rendered.

clmbr

by clmbr » Sat May 31, 2014 5:03 pm

no avatar
fruitflyman

by fruitflyman » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:37 pm

Hey folks, I am probably doing Bolam glacier this weekend. Does anyone know the conditions at Marine Camp - is there water there? Thanks!

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:09 pm

I'm not sure, but I got a look at the mountain from the north a couple weeks ago... looked like a lot of ice was showing both on Bolam Glacier and what is normally a snowfield above it. Perhaps can be avoided but I hadn't seen it looking that icy even when I went in October one year. Bollam Gully looked to be all snow. Let us know!

clmbr

by clmbr » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:59 am

fruitflyman wrote:Hey folks, I am probably doing Bolam glacier this weekend. Does anyone know the conditions at Marine Camp - is there water there? Thanks!

Water at Marine Camp? Over a couple of weeks ago there were many water streams available on lower elevations, up to H/B Ridge camp. I expect more this weekend. See you around.

yosemiteforlife67

by yosemiteforlife67 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:28 am

Hey, what about any conditions for Clear Creek Trailhead? Can anyone tell me how much snow has melted off that part of Shasta? I am planning on going up there last week of July.

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:08 am

yosemiteforlife67 wrote:Hey, what about any conditions for Clear Creek Trailhead? Can anyone tell me how much snow has melted off that part of Shasta? I am planning on going up there last week of July.

I took this last Tuesday:

For what it is worth, while I was in that neck of the woods I discovered a heretofore unknown waterfall on Mount Shasta. Its not huge but it is pretty cool.

JHH60

by JHH60 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:42 pm

yosemiteforlife67 wrote:Hey, what about any conditions for Clear Creek Trailhead? Can anyone tell me how much snow has melted off that part of Shasta? I am planning on going up there last week of July.

I was there over Memorial Day and the snow started about a mile from the trailhead, though was intermittent for the next couple miles. There were some dry patches at the base camp area at 8300' but the route from there had perfect snow climbing conditions in the early morning, which turned a bit sloppy later in the day. Of course that was two weeks ago...

no avatar
WillyTheDog

by WillyTheDog » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:51 pm

Toying with the idea of going up Clear Creek this weekend.
Probably gonna start at o' butt ugly, (like 2am? ambitious planning here, tryin to play a round of golf at shasta resort in the afternoon. Will probably play like shit.) Crampons and ice axe still necessary i presume??? At least for the top section around the wintun glacier??

JHH60

by JHH60 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:58 pm

WillyTheDog wrote:Toying with the idea of going up Clear Creek this weekend. <snip> Crampons and ice axe still necessary i presume??? At least for the top section around the wintun glacier??

I brought crampons and an ice axe two weeks ago and was happy to have them, especially near the glaciers. It might be more melted out now.

ScottyP

by ScottyP » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:52 am

fruitflyman wrote:Hey folks, I am probably doing Bolam glacier this weekend. Does anyone know the conditions at Marine Camp - is there water there? Thanks!

We just pulled the plug on our trip to Rainier this weekend and will be on the North side as well..

no avatar
fruitflyman

by fruitflyman » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:02 am

Looks like the place will be popular this weekend. I am curious to see what the conditions are on the glaciers...

no avatar
mtnlvrgirl

by mtnlvrgirl » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:56 pm

Bubba Suess wrote:

I took this last Tuesday:

For what it is worth, while I was in that neck of the woods I discovered a heretofore unknown waterfall on Mount Shasta. Its not huge but it is pretty cool.

Looks like Mud Creek Canyon and Upper Mud Creek Falls to me.

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:42 pm

mtnlvrgirl wrote:Looks like Mud Creek Canyon and Upper Mud Creek Falls to me.

Well, yes, the image is Mud Creek Canyon and falls. Did you follow the link?

PreviousNext

Return to California