I need help finding next climb

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
cnc4

I need help finding next climb

by cnc4 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:24 am

Hi, I'm new here at this forum, I hope some one can help me.
I'm looking to see if any one has any suggestions on where I can climb this august(late), based on my skill set which I'll go on about below.

I currently do some hiking, normally non mountainous. I recently did a portion of the Superior Hiking Trail in Minnesota, It was moderately strenuous, with a total alt gain of about 1500 ft.
I'd like to take on something different, a mountain climb. I normally hike with my father, and none of us has any real mountaineering skills beyond common sense, So I'm looking for a beginner's climb that's not any technical climbing in it.

I believe I'd be talking about a class one, max 2 difficulty rating, and probably not more then 3000 ft of elevation gain in any one day. Camping locations and water source halfway up is ideal, general safe region, meaning it's possible to get help in some reasonable time period. These factors are the main points for me, but beyond that, I'd like it to be a worthy climb. A spectacular view is great, as well as a sense of accomplishment, I also prefer less crowded areas, this means no pikes peak etc. I noticed Mt. Elbert is a class 1 climb, but I don't know if its a good for beginner's. I'd also like to go back to the Tetons, which I visited in 2009, hiked up about 800v ft up the trail, and toured the area. But Peaks like Grand Teton are out of the question at this point, and I'm not certain there are any non technical climbs there.
Any other input I can give, I'd be glad to give if it would help.

And of course thanks for reading!

Matt Lemke

Re: I need help finding next climb

by Matt Lemke » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:00 am

In the Tetons...Table Mountain is the best hike to a summit in the entire range. If the weather cooperates (no thunder storms) hike it later in the day to see the afternoon lighting on the west side of the Tetons!

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:10 pm

The Tetons are generally pretty steep and require at least scrambling skills plus usually involve a lot more elevation gain than 3k. I would suggest Colorado. Maybe post something in the Colorado forums for something more specific.

Doublecabin

by Doublecabin » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:40 am

Table is a LONG day but would be a great overnighter. It is a crowded hike some days but few overnight it.

screen shot on pc

Also in the Tetons a sweet trip would be Teton Canyon to Mirror Lake in AK Basin. Then next day either dayhike Static Peak or take your packs up and go down the Monster.

What so many folks don't realize about Greater Yellowstone is that the Parks aren't even 15% of the ecosystem. My favorite place on earth is the Southwest Absaroka Range where I hike several 11,000'+ peaks regularly. This is the l;argest sub-range of the Rockies and contains contiguous America's remotest wilds. This is a magical area I'd be happy to elaborate on for you if you are interested.

image hosting 5mb

Outside of Wyoming my favorite range is the Sangre de Cristo. Lots of pretty easy 13ers, S. Colony Lakes hike in and Summit Humboldt would be great too. If you do the exquisite Comanche-Venable loop Venable Peak is much easier than Comanche Peak. Here is Willow Lake if you wanted to do Kit Carson and Challenger.

free picture upload

JHH60

by JHH60 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:14 am

The Sierra are beautiful in August. The weather is very benign, access is good, and there are hundreds of choices for class 1-2 climbs. One option you might consider, for example, would be Mt. Agassiz, which is nearly 14K' with a spectacular 5 mi approach along the Bishop Pass Trail. It's a class 2 ascent from the pass and has terrific views - the only climb easier than class 3 which Peter Croft includes in his book "The Good, the Great, and the Awesome". There are great campsites near alpine lakes as you approach the pass. There are a number of other good peaks you could climb on the way there.

If you were willing to brave crowds you could go to the Yosemite area and knock off many mountains that fit your description in a few days. E.g., reserve a campsite at Tuolumne Meadows and hike up Mt. Dana, Mt. Conness, Cloud's Rest, Half Dome... it is crowded in summer but there's a reason for that: the scenery is amazing. You could even take some technical climbing lessons from the Yosemite Mountaineering School.

Camp near Mt Agassiz on North side of Bishop Pass

View from Dusy Basin on the South Side of a Bishop Pass

View of North Palisade near Agassiz

desainme

by desainme » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:00 pm

Jo Mary Mtn about 2300 ft of climbing from upper Jo Mary Lake. Don't expect to see anybody on this mountain. Piscataquis County Maine plenty of water and few folks-cell phone coverage spotty. Some bushwacking. Your hiking experience in Minnesota should be an asset here.

Fred Spicker

by Fred Spicker » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:07 pm

Glacier National Park for scenery easily attained - can't count on being alone - it is a Natioanl Park

http://www.summitpost.org/glacier-natio ... -mt/170953

A few Class 2 peaks with great views:

These 3 have you in the midst of the mountains with fabulous views in all directions.

http://www.summitpost.org/piegan-mountain-gnp/425452

http://www.summitpost.org/cataract-mountain-gnp/429843

http://www.summitpost.org/mount-oberlin/151298

There are may other Class 2 climbs in the park - go to the page and look around.

JHH60

by JHH60 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:55 pm

There are a lot of Mountains on the East coast which might fit the bill. A good choice might be Mt. Katadhin, which is the northern end of the Appalachian Trail and the highest point in Maine. I hiked the Knife Edge - Helon Taylor route in college and while it rated class 3 the route was very well marked and scrambling straightforward. There was just enough exposure to make it really exhilarating. I still clearly remember walking along the knife edge and seeing a shadow of myself cast on a cloud that was lower than the ridge. It was surrounded by a rainbow-like "glory" - the first time I'd ever seen that phenomenon.

http://www.summitpost.org/knife-edge-helon-taylor/158074

There are lots of great hikes in New Hampshire's Presidential range which would fit your description.

Tonka

by Tonka » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:35 pm

I think the obvious choice is a front range 14er like Bierstadt or start with Square Top. You don't have any real experiece so why would you want or benefit from getting remote. You can get to Denver for a good price from WI and be in George Town in a little over an hour and have a number of options. When we're looking for a quick trip from Minneapolis we stay at the Super 8 in G-Town for like 80 bucks and within a half hour drive you have many 14ers, 13ers and 12ers. You can hit Mothers for a few beers with the locals and do it again the next day. I think you can gain experience from just being out with people and watching both the idiots and the experienced. You'll be able to tell the difference.

Return to General