The Thunderer (Yellowstone)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
Morlow

The Thunderer (Yellowstone)

by Morlow » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:06 pm

Has anyone climbed this before? I'm curious how difficult it is. I've wanted to try it for a while but I can't find any info on it. Thanks.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Re: The Thunderer (Yellowstone)

by Bob Sihler » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:32 pm

I haven't climbed it, but I've read, I think in Bonney, that you can do it in a long day via Norris. I remember thinking it looked quite feasible from Norris when I climbed it a few years back.

I've always been intrigued by the possibility of finding a scrambling route up from the Thunderer Cutoff Trail. Maps suggest it just might work, and that would be a lot shorter, but the rock would probably be horrible.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Morlow

by Morlow » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:02 pm

Yeah I would definitely try it from the Thunderer trail, but as you mentioned, horribly loose rock would be my primary concern. I'm really not a fan of loose rock to begin with. I'm just surprised there isn't a page for it since it has the trail that goes up by it.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:40 pm

Absaroka breccia is so terrible that I wouldn't be surprised if no one has ever tried that way.

The Thunderer and Abiathar are peaks I would like to do next year, so if you don't get to it this year or prefer a partner for route-finding up that junk, I could be up for that next year. Unfortunately, I can't fit it in this year.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

PanamaRed

by PanamaRed » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:37 pm

I have been partway up this mountain. The rock is very sketch, and the route finding is tricky. We did not make it to the top. You could probably do it, it would just require very good route finding. If i remember correctly we had to ford a creek/river to access the mountain.

Joseph Bullough

by Joseph Bullough » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:02 pm

I tried it a few years ago from the Thunderer Trail and we got cliffed out. Thought about returning with a rope, but I think gear placements in breccia would be sketchy at best. I've looked at a long traverse from Mount Norris, and I think it would be fairly easy.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:15 pm

I found an online trip report that confirmed what I suspected-- the northeastern ridge from the wooded pass almost four miles in will go. Class 5 sections can be bypassed. It looks as though the crux of the day could be a thigh-deep ford of Soda Butte Creek.

I will be out there the last week of July this summer if you are still interested.

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:56 pm

The rock in the Absarokas atrocious. I thought the gneiss mixed with bands of black diabase in the Bighorns was bad....nah....that breccia is absurd! :)

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)