Mountain snow?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
Bark Eater

Mountain snow?

by Bark Eater » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:31 am

I saw some reports of significant new snow in the Wasatch. Any information if this made it eastward in the Uintas? The Snotel gauges don't show anything. Headed out that way soon for a trip up Kings Peak and wondering what to expect. I know a couple of days of sunshine this time of year will cause a lot of melting. Thanks in advance!

Wasatch Summits

Re: Mountain snow?

by Wasatch Summits » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:09 am

All that new snow is pretty much gone, the temps have jumped back up and annihilated it pretty quick. Not sure for the Uintas as of yet, but this is what the higher country of the Wasatch looked like yesterday afternoon:

Taken at Alta looking at Superior:

This is looking at the north aspect in Albion Basin, sorry about the bike, it's the only pic I've got showing the north side.

Quite a contrast from the high country a two days prior:

If you hit Kings fairly soon there will likely be a lot of sporadic old winter snow up there above 9,000, and tons of mosquitos! I'll be heading up higher tomorrow and can reply back if there is still a bunch of snow up there.

The following user would like to thank Wasatch Summits for this post
Bark Eater

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:57 pm

I didn't climb those mountains around Kings Peak, but I did drive by and took a good look yesterday at Mount Emmons and the surrounding peaks. It appears that the snow level is currently much higher in the Uintas than it is in the Wasatch. There doesn't appear to be very much snow below 11,000 feet (though there will be scattered snowbanks). I'd imagine that you will be fine, though there will be wet ground and mosquitoes and you will have some snow to walk through.

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
Bark Eater

Rocky Alps

by Rocky Alps » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:25 pm

Anyone been up along any part of the Beatout hike (Red Pine to Pfeifferhorn to South Thunder to Bells Canyon) in the last few days?

Even though from down in the valley it looks like there may still be some significant patches of snow, I was wondering if it would be doable to bypass these (and not need an ice axe / crampons) if enough snow has melted by this Friday (June 27).

I'm fine with waiting a few more weeks if necessary and hiking something else instead, but have been itching to try the Beatout.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:33 pm

I'm fine with waiting a few more weeks if necessary and hiking something else instead, but have been itching to try the Beatout.

I don't know the current conditions, but one thing I can say for sure is that the Beatout is much more pleasant when there is snow. Once the snow melts, the going is much slower and more tedious.

Rocky Alps

by Rocky Alps » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:46 pm

Thanks, that's good to know. Maybe we'll just go for it then.

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:08 pm

Thanks guys. Hmmm..wet ground and mosquitoes. Sounds like a typical pleasant day hiking in the Adirondacks :-) But you don't get to enjoy the black flies!

Return to Utah