The Last Great Climb

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Diego Sahagún

The Last Great Climb

by Diego Sahagún » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:14 pm

Have you watched The Last Great Climb :?: They are going to show it here and I don't know if going to the cinema. How is the movie :?:

http://player.vimeo.com/video/86704813? ... autoplay=1

The following user would like to thank Diego Sahagún for this post
Cy Kaicener

Diego Sahagún

Re: The Last Great Climb

by Diego Sahagún » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:17 pm

Well :?:

phydeux

by phydeux » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:24 am

I've never seen anything about this movie until your post, and I live in the Los Angeles area where there are a few theater chains that would give this limited-audience movie a showing for a few weeks (at least). The video you posted (and other links on the internet) are all focused on a European audience. The links DO show its available for purchase as a DVD, but we use a different DVD system here in the USA (at least I believe we still do), so I'm not sure we can even purchase it. :(

The following user would like to thank phydeux for this post
Diego Sahagún

WillP

by WillP » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:02 am

I saw it (or maybe an abridged version) at the local screening of the Banff Mountain Film Festival a few weeks ago. It was pretty much the main film I wanted to see, and one of the main reasons for shelling out $35. It sounded great, Leo Houlding has done so much and come so far, Sean Leary was such a cool guy, and it really looked like an amazing expedition.

Maybe it was, but the film was pretty dissapointing. I appreciate that filming in such conditions must have been extremely difficult, but it was very, very short, with very little drama or real human emotion. The scenes that tried to display true English grit coming through and powering through cruxes, bad weather, heinous run-outs, etc. were often shot in such a way that anyone who climbs knows the outcome (ie - shooting from above).

The real, lasting message from the film? Sponsored by Berghaus. Seriously, the product placement and logo displays are way over the top, but that's a criticism that pertains to many of the Banff films this year (did you know Pamela Pack is sponsored by Patagonia? And Red Bull sponsors some German mountain bikers?).

So if it's part of the Banff Film Festival, don't not go because of this film, because there are a couple of awesome ones there - Elizabeth Hawley, 'North of the Sun'.

Interested in what others thought of the film.

The following user would like to thank WillP for this post
Diego Sahagún

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:22 pm

Hi Will,

I won't go to wach knowing that it's not good as you've said. Neither big wall is the thing that I like the most in this sport...

Thanks so much

phydeux

by phydeux » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:12 am

If you're interested: Here's a link to a National Geographic program about the Queen Maud Land area that was shown on United States television last year. If you want to watch the whole program you have to sign up for a one year subscription that costs $15 USA (not sure about Euro or Aussie $ payments). I thought it was well done. At $15 for a one year subscription to their monthly e-magazine and videos, this is a [u]FAR[/u] better value than the $30+ for a single viewing of "The Last Great Climb" .

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2013/ ... bing-video

The following user would like to thank phydeux for this post
Diego Sahagún

Return to General