RMNP Snow Conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
MarkDidier

RMNP Snow Conditions

by MarkDidier » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:57 pm

Any info on the current snow conditions on any of these areas/routes would be appreciated. I'll be in the park from 7/30 to 8/2. (Normally I go later in the year and snow is never a concern.) Thanks in advance.

Hourglass Ridge
Gully from Lake of Many Winds to Boulder Grand Pass
McHenry's/Stoneman Pass
The Loft

Also, I talked to a ranger today that said they are calling the hike to Ypsilon Lake impassable due to high runoff (with the bridge being out). Anyone been up there and if so is there a safe place to cross the river? Was hoping to head to Spectacle Lakes.

JonW

Re: RMNP Snow Conditions

by JonW » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:01 pm

I don't have first hand information but there is info on the access to Ypsilon on the Mountain Project page.

http://mountainproject.com/v/colorado-a ... 9002847__1

I would suggest posting your question over there as well as I think most CO climbers tend to use that site.

The following user would like to thank JonW for this post
MarkDidier

no avatar
mtnjim

by mtnjim » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:14 pm

Log above the bridge to Ypsilon was still there a week ago.

The following user would like to thank mtnjim for this post
MarkDidier

Bill Reed

by Bill Reed » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:21 pm

Hope this helps-Stoneman Pass & McHenrys, July 18thImage

The following user would like to thank Bill Reed for this post
MarkDidier

MarkDidier

by MarkDidier » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:42 pm

Bill, nice pic of a beautiful place! A Good reminder of why I want to get back there. Besides, it's been six years...

Dave B

by Dave B » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:12 am

I hiked Hourglass Ridge today with a descent of Grand Boulder Pass.

Only a few spots of snow on the approach, all totally avoidable. No snow on route anywhere. The gully between the pass and Lake of the many winds was snow free but with a short snow traverse to the boulder field just above and west of the lake.

Several other short snow patches were on the trail between Thunder Lake and LOTMW.

I heard on 14ers that the loft is almost entirely snow free.

The following user would like to thank Dave B for this post
MarkDidier

MarkDidier

by MarkDidier » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:31 am

Thanks Dave for the info! Good to hear the snow won't be a problem on Alice, since I have a long overdue date with her...

TheRightPants

by TheRightPants » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:14 pm

MarkDidier wrote:Any info on the current snow conditions on any of these areas/routes would be appreciated. I'll be in the park from 7/30 to 8/2. (Normally I go later in the year and snow is never a concern.) Thanks in advance.

Hourglass Ridge
Gully from Lake of Many Winds to Boulder Grand Pass
McHenry's/Stoneman Pass
The Loft

Also, I talked to a ranger today that said they are calling the hike to Ypsilon Lake impassable due to high runoff (with the bridge being out). Anyone been up there and if so is there a safe place to cross the river? Was hoping to head to Spectacle Lakes.

Perhaps this is moderately helpful... I overnighted at the Boulder Field on the way up Longs/Keyhole on 7/22-23 and that route was entirely snow-free. On the way up, I rested briefly at the trail down to Chasm Lake and took this shot of the east side of Longs and the Loft:

There were a couple guys who were summitting from the Loft on Wednesday morning. They said the route was great. Avoiding the afternoon storms should be your biggest concern. Good luck!

Return to Colorado