Looking for ideas of hikes/climbs Huaraz

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
ajaysomani

Looking for ideas of hikes/climbs Huaraz

by ajaysomani » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:46 pm

Hi fellow climbers,

I am doing a road trip from California (started in Feb) to Argentina (until Feb 2015) and back to Venezuela from the other side (until June 2015) My route for the next 6 months (Aug to Jan) months will be going from Ecuador to Ushuaia (the southern most city in Argentina) all along the andes.

I have about 15 days from Aug 15 to Aug 30 that I want to spend close to Huaraz in Peru. I am looking for ideas on treks/climbs and also guide recommendations. I have Alpamayo on my list but I am not sure about the conditions there and also I don't have the skills needed to climb it yet (my previous successful 5k ascents are Norte Illiniza, Cotopaxi, Pico de Orizaba and Pequeño Alpamayo and failed attempt on Sajama where I got to high camp). I'm willing to take some ice climbing lessons up there if thats a possibility. If you know of a good guide, please respond. I have my own 4 x 4 transportation and all the necessary gear so that's not an issue.

eatpeaches

Re: Looking for ideas of hikes/climbs Huaraz

by eatpeaches » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:06 am

Hi,
I will be in Huaraz from August 16th to August 27th.
I'm a beginner, so you might no be interested by those propositions, but I'm currently organizing santa cruz trek in 3-4 days and then Pisco (3 days) for myself if you want to join. I still have days to fill. Or if you decide to do something else, may I join? I would not attempt the Alpamayo as I do not have enough experience though.
I was wondering if it's easy to find other trekkers/climbers on my arrival to escape from the overpriced agencies...

Return to South America