Giving up and unfit friends..

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Buz Groshong

Re: Giving up and unfit friends..

by Buz Groshong » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:44 pm

MoapaPk wrote:I know lots of small people (~45 kg) who don't ask for special treatment and often carry packs as heavy as mine (I'm a whopping 67 kg).

You've gotten lots of good advice for cutting food weight; if you are getting a sure source of water (from huts, streams) you can even dispense with the stove. My last three backpacks were stove-less. Just make sure you have food that you will WANT to eat at altitude, and will drink enough water.

I suspect the OP just needed to rant a little, about a (now former) friend. But to restate the advice above: you really need to vet people in a polite way, before a big undertaking. Maybe you can do it with polite questions to the friend's friends, or maybe with a few short trips. If you are just using the friend for transportation... well that is different moral issue.

It is worth waiting to get good outdoor partners. Otherwise there will be a bitterness in your memories of the event, and your main purpose in going -- to enjoy yourself -- is lost. We can also work on our own tolerance levels. I recall my blood pressure starting to boil as a friend folded and refolded his handkerchief, wasting precious minutes as a snowstorm moved in; then I thought to myself: if 10 minutes of kerchief folding makes that much difference, maybe I didn't plan the start time too well? It takes two to tango.

There's always going to be people who are a bit slower; If we can't deal with it we should be hiking alone rather than with others.

Xeno

by Xeno » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:12 pm

nartreb wrote:A lot of the weight and bulk in foods comes from the packaging, as you've noticed. Plan your meals in advance, measure out each dish into sealed plastic bags, and you'll make a huge improvement. The basic idea is to take stuff that won't spoil or get crushed, that contains lots of calories (fats are your friend!), and that doesn't take too long to cook (because you have to carry the fuel, and because you don't want to wait an hour for breakfast if you're heading up a glacier before dawn). Instant rice or instant noodles, hard sausage, powdered eggs, powdered milk, vegetable oil, peanut butter are all good backpacking foods. But it's more important to take food that you like. It does you no good if you don't eat it. Bring your favorite spices and sauces, and make sure you have a variety from day to day. [Frites a la Belge le premier jour, frites allumettes le second? ;) ]

Sugary foods are quickly metabolized into energy, but that doesn't last, and it's not very easy to match your sugar intake to your rate of exercise. You want a mix: some sugar (especially during or just before exercise), some complex carbohydrates (which are easily converted to sugar), some fats (highest energy:weight ratio, but slowest to digest), some protein (mostly because it's yummy).

Bring sugary snacks to eat as you walk (granola bars, for example), and keep some very salty snacks handy too (if you feel cramps starting, nibbling some salt will often cure you). And carry lots of water and drink more than you did. Try adding a little flavor to your water: sugar, lemon juice, tea, whatever you like. Load up on the carbohydrates and fats during your sit-down meals.

If you buy commercial freeze-dried meals or instant soups, be aware of the salt content. You need some salt to replace what you sweat, but many commercial brands add way too much. It's OK to eat one or two portions, but if you're hungry and eat double or triple for dinner, you'll regret it.

Oh wow. thanks alot for this comprehensive post! Definitely going to be more mindful about the food i take with me next time, very informative!

@Moapakk

A whopping 67kg? im currently at 99kg..(1.88m) not that im that fat..just not skinny either. I really fear that mountaineering is not for me because of my weight... but still got to try it...still got until february before a new year of "climbing school" starts....time to start running again and losing some weight..

And yes. In retrospect there was really no reason to post this big rant on a forum...since its just that "a rant"...guess i needed to share my frustration.

And yes, im not perfect either, if i was more patient we would still be good friends now. Guess it was just hard for me because i was really fanatic about doing the entire haute route..and was really counting the days leading up to it.

Ill probably be trekking alone in the future...unless i meet someone who already has alot of trekking experience and can deal with my ranting and fanaticism.

Sorry for the rant guys!

To make the thread atleast somewhat useful. Something im really wondering about...why do you guys climb or hike mountains? and dont say....."because it's there" ... :D

surgent

by surgent » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:04 pm

The looking in the mirror to check his hair ... the refolding of a handkerchief ...

In both situations it seems to me to be some sort of nervous tic, perhaps subconsciously done. Both individuals may have felt completely in over their heads at those moments and expressed their discomfort with these peculiar actions.

I got to thinking... the "hair" guy as described by Xeno above knows full well he caved in. I would bet that given his heightened sense of himself before the trek, that this experience was humiliating and probably wants nothing more than to ignore it and hope it's never brought up again in polite conversation. I am not necessarily belittling that guy. He probably wants nothing to do with anyone that reminds him of his failure.

I'd give the guy his space and only discuss it if he brings it up, maybe a year from now with three beers in him.

How often do you see people react in the face of extreme danger (or perceived danger)? People do funny things. Some panic outright, some shutdown completely, some do odd behaviors.

On a climb once involving a number of 4th-class scrambles with lots of exposure (prussiked into a top-roped tag line as our belay), one guy in our team just collapsed into a blob and "gave up", too freaked out. This after ascending the hardest parts and just a few dozen feet short of the summit. We had to basically threaten him (kindly) to get his ass tied in and continue upwards. He did, and he did fine, and we never talked about it afterwards, and he is one of the strongest climbers I know. But at that very moment, he hit his wall. It happens to everyone.

The following user would like to thank surgent for this post
lisae, Xeno

Xeno

by Xeno » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:15 pm

surgent wrote:The looking in the mirror to check his hair ... the refolding of a handkerchief ...

In both situations it seems to me to be some sort of nervous tic, perhaps subconsciously done. Both individuals may have felt completely in over their heads at those moments and expressed their discomfort with these peculiar actions.

I got to thinking... the "hair" guy as described by Xeno above knows full well he caved in. I would bet that given his heightened sense of himself before the trek, that this experience was humiliating and probably wants nothing more than to ignore it and hope it's never brought up again in polite conversation. I am not necessarily belittling that guy. He probably wants nothing to do with anyone that reminds him of his failure.

I'd give the guy his space and only discuss it if he brings it up, maybe a year from now with three beers in him.

How often do you see people react in the face of extreme danger (or perceived danger)? People do funny things. Some panic outright, some shutdown completely, some do odd behaviors.

On a climb once involving a number of 4th-class scrambles with lots of exposure (prussiked into a top-roped tag line as our belay), one guy in our team just collapsed into a blob and "gave up", too freaked out. This after ascending the hardest parts and just a few dozen feet short of the summit. We had to basically threaten him (kindly) to get his ass tied in and continue upwards. He did, and he did fine, and we never talked about it afterwards, and he is one of the strongest climbers I know. But at that very moment, he hit his wall. It happens to everyone.

You are right. I really should have known better and not see his odd behaviour as someone who wanted to do the haute route with me but didnt feel like walking all to much.
He had also told me that he had only seen mountains from a distance before and never went above the forest barrier in his life...let alone go up until the snow barrier....and camp overnight on a mountain side in a pretty hefty rainstorm with thunder and heavy wind.
While i was already somewhat used to things like that..it could be that being in that hostile environment ...he wanted to do routines he did in his normal life..to somehow get back into his comfort zone (also reason why he checked into that hotel so fast and just lay in bed playing games on his cellphone the rest of the day...).

Thinking about all of this...i actually dont feel angry anymore that i couldnt complete the entire route partly because of him and wasted almost 1000 euros (atleast half of that was invested in gear..so its not an entire waste). I just feel sorry for him now...damn...maybe in a few months ill try to talk with him about what went wrong. This most likely ruined more of his self-esteem then it made me angry :/. Thanks for putting this into another perspective..

clmbr

by clmbr » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:14 pm

jesu, joy of man's desiring wrote:Next time leave the canned food behind and give your friend a sponge bath

Just don’t do it in the mountains like these people did please.

Can food left by climbers at a camp on Avalanche Gulch, Mt Shasta
http://images.summitpost.org/original/848786.jpg
Last edited by clmbr on Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The following user would like to thank clmbr for this post
lcarreau

clmbr

by clmbr » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:25 pm

Xeno wrote:. . .To make the thread atleast somewhat useful. Something im really wondering about...why do you guys climb or hike mountains? and dont say....."because it's there" ... :D

…because I’m afraid to quit. :o :D

"...The challenges and rewards of mountaineering lure new daredevils starving for adventure. Some of them stay, and some drop out. Despite of its beauty and popularity, mountaineering is not for everyone; however, if you want to try climbing and live to tell about it, never stop respecting the mountains because they can turn on you in a fraction of a second. Be smart and poised, not fervent and out of control. "

MRD June 2003

CClaude

by CClaude » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:51 am

Ok, I have a really bad attitude, but maybe people should put things into perspective... in reality a tiny bit of suffering... Read stories of Doug Scott... understand what true perserverance is and it will serve you well in life. In reality an adventure is a metaphor for life in general.

want to know a life that is interesting,. Read about Parofes.... a life well lived.

Life is a bitch... myself, I went from hoping to trad climb 5.13d and do long adventure climbs in Zion and Yosemite (along with Peru and Nepal) to dealing with a child that went blind, a divorce, a broken neck that should have killed me or left me a quad, to a woman who I want to marry I hope to be alive long enough to say our vows... get over yourself..She is the toughest persion I know so I know it will happen.

Get over yourself, and if this pushes you down, than life is a bitch

CClaude

by CClaude » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:08 am

and why climb was asked. Its been asked previously in many forums, but to watch a sunrise from teh early morning dusk... rto lean back in your harness 100's or 1000;'s of feet off the ground.... an uncertainity of the outcome of todays actions... to be stretched so far beyond what you think is possible, but to still see beauty.

Its different than other things... nature may be uncaring, but its not malicious. Its just indifferent

Xeno

by Xeno » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:48 pm

CClaude wrote:Ok, I have a really bad attitude, but maybe people should put things into perspective... in reality a tiny bit of suffering... Read stories of Doug Scott... understand what true perserverance is and it will serve you well in life. In reality an adventure is a metaphor for life in general.

want to know a life that is interesting,. Read about Parofes.... a life well lived.

Life is a bitch... myself, I went from hoping to trad climb 5.13d and do long adventure climbs in Zion and Yosemite (along with Peru and Nepal) to dealing with a child that went blind, a divorce, a broken neck that should have killed me or left me a quad, to a woman who I want to marry I hope to be alive long enough to say our vows... get over yourself..She is the toughest persion I know so I know it will happen.

Get over yourself, and if this pushes you down, than life is a bitch

Damn man...you are a true mountaineer of life...

I've known people who also had alot of bad luck in life (i guess thats just part of life..)...some of them just give up on life entirely, some of them stand up again and push on.
A good friend of mine, his father committed suicide long ago, he never got over it...some years later he died of an overdose...life is the greatest drama..but its important to keep going forward, even if it is just for those tiny moments of happiness.

no avatar
Stefan

by Stefan » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:01 pm

I send you a PM, please check your inbox

lisae

by lisae » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:36 pm

I am a slow hiker. I stop to take photographs. I like to look around and notice my surroundings. So I either hike by myself or hike people who don't mind my pace.

Finding the right partner, with similar goals, is important.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:52 pm

Is this about hiking or climbing ? Probably be best to have a partner with anything involving a rope, unless you see yourself as Sylvester Stallone did in
"Cliffhanger."

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Previous

Return to General