Mount Adams in August?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
chadbw

Mount Adams in August?

by chadbw » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:48 pm

Hi all,

Living in Texas I have to jump on every chance I can to climb in the "real" mountains, so with a last-minute family gathering in Washington being planned for next week I was poking around to see if there were any mountains that I could conceivably climb on short notice and possibly solo. The South Spur of Adams looks like it might work, but also looks like it might be a real pain later in the season without snow to hike on. I have enough glacier experience to handle that route in normal conditions, so I'm wondering if there's any sense in attempting it next week or if the whole thing will just be a scree scramble all the way to the top. For what it's worth I've climbed some Colorado 14ers and stay in pretty good climbing shape, so I'm not worried about altitude or endurance, just about hiking conditions. Has anyone been out there lately that can comment on current snow conditions? Alternatively, has anyone been there during August in general with some insight to share? I'm having trouble finding current conditions information on the internet, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your input!

reboyles

Re: Mount Adams in August?

by reboyles » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:29 pm

Here's the latest TR I've seen on Adams.

http://thegranolachronicles.blogspot.co ... -2014.html

Cheers,

Bob

The following user would like to thank reboyles for this post
chadbw

RAdams

by RAdams » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:17 am

Try www.wta.org (wa trails association) for trip reports. I just checked, and there are several recent posts.

The following user would like to thank RAdams for this post
chadbw

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:21 pm

jesu, joy of man's desiring wrote:Where is Mount Adams? Aren't there like 3 or 4 ?

Considering he said he is going to be in Washington......I'd say it's prob in Washington. ;)

The following user would like to thank WyomingSummits for this post
chugach mtn boy, lcarreau

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:42 pm

Yep, it was named after a dead president. August is the best time to climb Adams, but beware of "white-out" conditions @ any time of the year.
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

DrGranola

by DrGranola » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:04 pm

Here is a link to the webcam that I used to keep an eye on the mountain prior to my trip there. http://mtadams.tv/

Looks like its still easy crusin'!

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)