Palisades conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
MoapaPk

Re: Palisades conditions

by MoapaPk » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:37 pm

gcircle wrote:Any word on condition of Glacier Notch- Planning to circumnavigate Gayley/Temple next week.

Some buds went up there a weeks or so back, and I think it's basically dry talus and scree. The L couloir is almost dry.

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
gcircle

no avatar
alexfore

by alexfore » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:14 pm

We went up to glacier notch from north fork last Sunday and turned around. The glacier is very far down the slope so the route is huge talus most of the way. Closer to the notch it is rocks and gravel frozen on top of ice in morning which melts and gets slippy later in the day. The chutes up to glacier notch were ice free. We heard lots of rockfall while there. Other parties told us Sill had some ice in class 4 section.

The following user would like to thank alexfore for this post
gcircle

no avatar
gcircle

by gcircle » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:22 pm

thanks

no avatar
alexfore

by alexfore » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:46 pm

Anybody been up to Sill / glacier notch recently? I am planning a return trip this Saturday / Sunday.
Thanks!

aermotor

by aermotor » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:52 pm

Looking for current photos or conditions of the North Palisade, thanks!

colinr

by colinr » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:45 pm

aermotor wrote:Looking for current photos or conditions of the North Palisade, thanks!

I bet someone can provide more recent or specific photos/conditions reports for North Pal, but here is a shot providing an overview of the general area taken from Agassiz on July 13. It is not my best image from that day, nor the best location to see detailed North Pal conditions from, but is the best I can help.

By the way, you are probably expecting this, but I heard more rockfall coming from the photographed area than I have ever heard in my life, but I've yet to visit the east side of the Palisades aside from the summit and final approach I took on Agassiz.

Previous

Return to California