Sierra Eastside Mt Morrison- Mt Baldwin linkup

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
matt1234

Sierra Eastside Mt Morrison- Mt Baldwin linkup

by matt1234 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:58 pm

About a week ago I scrambled up the north ride of Mt. Morrison and continued to followed its south ridge to summit Mt. Baldwin. I can't find anything like a trip report or beta for the south ridge and am wondering what other people who have done this thought about it. I thought it was a chossfest and would honestly not recommend it to anyone...

Deb

Re: Sierra Eastside Mt Morrison- Mt Baldwin linkup

by Deb » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:28 am

matt1234 wrote:About a week ago I scrambled up the north ride of Mt. Morrison and continued to followed its south ridge to summit Mt. Baldwin. I can't find anything like a trip report or beta for the south ridge and am wondering what other people who have done this thought about it. I thought it was a chossfest and would honestly not recommend it to anyone...

Plenty of people have done it and agree. I've done all that mess except Baldwin from the north, west and east. White Fang is truly just a pillar of chalk!

seano

by seano » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:22 pm

Bob and I did it on the Sierra Challenge a few years back, and I almost cratered when a big block I was standing on broke off. It sucks in a dangerous way.

obsidian

by obsidian » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:13 pm

MATT1234,
Thanks, this is good intel,...I was thinking of looping around from near Bloody Mountain,...and, coming out that way. You saved me some serious misery.
I shall re-think the approach,...

sierraman

by sierraman » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:01 am

I underestimated the nastiness of this route once and was turned back due to approaching darkness. So I would agree it is a chossfest, even though I don't know exactly what that means.

Return to California