Which California 14er should I climb next?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
adrih

Which California 14er should I climb next?

by adrih » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:45 am

Hi Summit Posters,

I'm looking for advice on what peak to bag next in California and need our advice. I've already been on top of Mount Langley, Whitney, Shasta in California (and Hood and Rainier) but am looking for my next California 14er. Any suggestions for late September will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Jesus Malverde

Re: Which California 14er should I climb next?

by Jesus Malverde » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:32 pm

adrih,
Split Mt. from Red Lake is fun and easy.
If you are looking for a bit more challenge, Middle Palisade via the class 3 East Face is nice one (one of my favorites).
If you want a fantastic view of the High Sierra and haven't hiked the Bristlecone Pine Forests near White Mountain, then White Mt. is a really cool one.
If you need more of challenge on White, consider running the road from the parking lot. If you want a historic climb, consider the North Rib on Mt. Tyndall (follow in the footsteps of Brewer).Good Stuff.
Anyone you pick will be an adventure.
Who Dares Wins,
JM

The following user would like to thank Jesus Malverde for this post
adrih

TheRightPants

by TheRightPants » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:33 am

adrih wrote:Hi Summit Posters,

I'm looking for advice on what peak to bag next in California and need our advice. I've already been on top of Mount Langley, Whitney, Shasta in California (and Hood and Rainier) but am looking for my next California 14er. Any suggestions for late September will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I'm actually in the same boat, having climbed the same three and looking forward to the next. In all honesty, the options are wide open. I'm considering an early October tandem of Williamson and Tyndall via the notorious Shepherd's Pass. But if my schedule doesn't allow for a hike of that length, I may opt for the shorter and more exposed trail up Russell. Or maybe someone comes through with a Whitney Zone permit and I decide to bag Muir on the way up Whitney's MR. And again, I'm not ruling out a quick trip up White if I find myself a bit further north between now and then.

What are your preferences? Where are you coming from? How much time will you have? Are you looking for an easier hike or more of a thrill?

Somewhere buried in this forum is a thread asking a similar question, "Best order to climb California's 14ers?". The debate on there was dizzying, as numerous factors are at hand when selecting the right hike for you. When your choices are mostly non-technical and all in the same general area (except for Shasta), prioritizing criteria is an exercise in minutiae. One which I wholeheartedly enjoy engaging in :D

Jesus Malverde

by Jesus Malverde » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:07 pm

Jesus Malverde wrote:(follow in the footsteps of Brewer)

Correction: Cotter and King (Apparently I'm still recovering from July :) )
Also:
Best order to climb California's 14ers??
best-order-to-climb-california-s-14ers-t64331.html
Good luck!
JM

obsidian

by obsidian » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:56 pm

ADRIH,
Mount Sill, SummitPost
Its summit provides a commanding view of the entire Palisade range and surrounding peaks. Indeed, R.J. Secor opines that, "Mount Sill has the best summit view of any peak in the Sierra."

The following user would like to thank obsidian for this post
Jesus Malverde

Jesus Malverde

by Jesus Malverde » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:57 pm

Mt. Sill...sweetness..

Never climbed this specific route, but it's always been on the back of me mind since I saw Bob Burd's page on it a few years ago:
http://www.snwburd.com/bob/trip_reports/sill_2.html
Picts:
http://www.snwburd.com/bob/trip_photos/ ... dex_t.html

The following user would like to thank Jesus Malverde for this post
adrih

desainme

by desainme » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:00 am

Might as well try Mt. Barnard-it seems to be growing. Google Earth now shows 14010 ft and after all Mt Whitney has increased about 11 feet according to some. When I was a kid, Whitney used to be 14,494 ft. but nowadays it appears to be around 14,505 ft. I think there is a positive probability that Mt. Barnard is 14k ft.

cab

by cab » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:31 pm

My Mt. Whitney permit from earlier this summer showed it as 14,508! I too remember when it was 14,494. The good ole days...

Jesus Malverde

by Jesus Malverde » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:04 pm

No intent here to threadjack, just a friendly FYI:
Speaking of California 14ers, it looks like Sufferfest is now out at Steepedge:

In Sufferfest, Alex Honnold and Cedar Wright embark on a wholly human-powered adventure to link all of California’s 14,000-foot peaks. Utterly new to biking, the quirky yet endearing duo push themselves to their absolute limits in pursuit of success.
http://steepedge.com/categories/rock-cl ... rfest.html
Best,
JM

Return to California