Mountain records (age)

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
Keblovszki

Mountain records (age)

by Keblovszki » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:30 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to find out if there exists an overview of the youngest people ever to climb various mountains? And will this be available online?
Also, do you think these exist for every country? I come from Denmark and I am searching for a record of the youngest danes on various mountains.

Cheers,

Alex

Sierra Ledge Rat

Re: Mountain records (age)

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:23 pm

I doubt that you will find any official records of the youngest people to climb various mountians because

(1) Not everyone who climbs a mountain leaves a record

(2) Even if someone leaves a record, almost no one records their age

(3) Which countries keep records?

(4) Which country would spend the time and money to maintain a website of something so obscure?

nartreb

by nartreb » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:09 am

It depends which mountains. For the most famous ones like Everest, there are reasonably-complete, unofficial records of who has climbed, usually including nationality and age,

You can get a complete set for the Himalaya here: http://www.himalayandatabase.com/

There is, however, no single body in charge of compiling this info for all mountains.

A simple Google search for "youngest person to climb Mt X" is likely to find relevant news articles... For Everest, it's a 13-year-old American boy, beating the previous record by a 15-year-old Sherpa. He also holds the 7 Summits record (at age 15) and I presume he has the record for most or all of the 7 Summits.

A claim like "youngest Dane ever to climb Mt X" might also be tested by inquiring at the Dansk Bjergklub - anybody setting records is likely somebody they've heard of. http://www.dbkk.dk/

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:25 am

nartreb wrote: He also holds the 7 Summits record (at age 15) and I presume he has the record for most or all of the 7 Summits.

The record for Vinson is 13 - Johnny Strange in 2004. The record for Denali is something like 12 and I think similar for Aconcagua. Kili is even less.

Return to General