About to buy Feathered Friends Rock&Ice what do you think?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
G-F

About to buy Feathered Friends Rock&Ice what do you think?

by G-F » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:20 pm

Hi, first time poster here but I've been lurking for a while.

I have a North Face Himalayan parka that has the dreaded cold spot in the front of the elbows. I decided last winter that this was it, no more coping with that. So even though the cold season is still a couple months out, I decided to look for a possible replacement for the TNF Himalayan.

After numerous threads digging and reviews reading I've come down to 6 parka I think would do a good job replacing my Himalayan. The MH Sub-Zero, Peak XV, WM SnoJack, the Marmot 8000m, the PHD Xero Down and the FF Rock&Ice.

I decided on the FF Rock&Ice based on the reviews and because it seems like it has the highest down weight and loft of any parkas out there.

Anyone knows of any other very warm parka I might have overlooked or should I just order the Rock&Ice and wait for the -30 to hit?

Jesus Malverde

Re: About to buy Feathered Friends Rock&Ice what do you thin

by Jesus Malverde » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:47 pm

G-F,
Can you contact TNF and see if they can fix/re-stuff the elbow areas?
A few years ago, their turn around was 4-6 weeks if I recall correctly. May save you a bit of money.
Just a thought.
If you are fed up with TNF (I understand), then FF is a great alternative. The Rock & Ice parka gets great reviews year after year. If you have the time, wait for a sale or materials "close out." You may be able to save a few bucks here and there on a FF.

I realize this may not be helpful in your research, but here goes:
Boutique alternatives?
http://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/main_p ... rments.htm
http://valandre.com/
http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/
http://us.rab.uk.com/products/mens-clot ... hing-down/

Stay warm! :)
JM

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:55 pm

Western Mountaineering Ion or Snowjack parkas.

no avatar
G-F

by G-F » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:40 am

Thanks both for the links.

I'm gonna read about those other parkas. I really like Valandre. Though just looking quickly at fill weight, it seems like the Rock&Ice is still king. A lot more reading for the next couple days for me.

:)

no avatar
G-F

by G-F » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:50 am

Oups double post.

no avatar
G-F

by G-F » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:20 pm

Given the choice, would you guys pick the eVent or Pertex Shield XT fabric?

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:04 pm

Though eVent is more breathable than Gore-Tex (or was, until recently maybe) it requires regular washing and care for it to work properly. On a down jacket this is almost impossible to do, or a pain the ass at the least.

Unless you think you'll be wearing the jacket in wet, near zero degrees conditions, the eVent is overkill and will not let the jacket breathe well enough, maybe letting the down get damp with your sweat. The Pertex Shield should be more than enough protection.

no avatar
G-F

by G-F » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:29 pm

Damien Gildea wrote:Though eVent is more breathable than Gore-Tex (or was, until recently maybe) it requires regular washing and care for it to work properly. On a down jacket this is almost impossible to do, or a pain the ass at the least.

Unless you think you'll be wearing the jacket in wet, near zero degrees conditions, the eVent is overkill and will not let the jacket breathe well enough, maybe letting the down get damp with your sweat. The Pertex Shield should be more than enough protection.

That would explain why FF went from eVent to Pertex. Pertex is lighter as well and that was the motivation behind the change apparently.

On the other hand, the eVent fabrix doesn't risk getting much dirty in sub zero conditions but it is worth considering.

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:03 am

G-F wrote:On the other hand, the eVent fabrix doesn't risk getting much dirty in sub zero conditions but it is worth considering.

It's not just dirt from outside that affects it, it's the oils and other things in your sweat vapour that block the eVent, from the inside-out.

no avatar
G-F

by G-F » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:31 am

Thanks all for your input.

I bought (last year's) eVent version as I had a 20% discount over the new Pertex XT model. Can't wait for the -20c to hit. :)

As far as I know there is another size large left at 20% off regular price in eVent if anyone is interested.

no avatar
G-F

by G-F » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:44 am

Thanks all for your input.

I bought (last year's) eVent version as I had a 20% discount over the new Pertex XT model. Can't wait for the -20c to hit. :)

As far as I know there is another size large left at 20% off regular price in eVent if anyone is interested.

Jesus Malverde

by Jesus Malverde » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:12 pm

G - F,
Congrats! Now go climb something tall and cold..:)
Best,
JM

no avatar
G-F

by G-F » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:53 pm

Thanks JM!

In the end, all other parkas seemed to have less fill weight and the numerous good reviews and sale price on the R&I sealed the deal.

I received it this morning, it is so puffy! Here is a picture next to my Himalayan. Ok the R&I is brand new, but there is something like 1.5" difference in loft between the two and the picture was taken just a few minutes after I took it out of the box it came in. This is one puffy jacket! :)

no avatar
PaulKalashnikov

by PaulKalashnikov » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:19 pm

G-F, congratz on getting this amazing parka!

Could you provide more information about it?
I'm going to buy a new extreme jacket winter, at the moment I choose between FF Rock and Ice and PHD Omega Down Jacket http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/omega-down-jacket.
I'm not sure which is the warmest.

Anyone can advise?

no avatar
G-F

by G-F » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:29 am

I couldn't get any info on the down weight from PHD. I couldn't find anything on the internet about it.

So maybe it is better, maybe not. But when I contacted PHD they said it was a design secret. Well FF is really forthright with the down weight and in the end, that really gave me confidence in their products. Especially because I couldn't find any other jacket with more down weight at the same quality as FF anywhere.

The numerous good reviews sealed the deal. Compared to my Himalayan, that is already top of the line in terms of warmth, the FF is much loftier. It makes the North face feel like a t-shirt. Ok, I'm over exagerating, but you can look at the pic I posted and you'll see just how puffy the Rock&Ice is.

If you need a size large, ask about the last year models. They gave me a good discount. Good luck.

Next

Return to Gear