Pico Orizaba boot selection

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
RoyJamieson

Pico Orizaba boot selection

by RoyJamieson » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:02 am

I've checked out previous posts on this subject but I have three pairs of boots and would like some feed back on which ones to choose.
Scarpa Phantom 6000, Scarpa Triolet and Scarpa Charmoz.
I'm thinking the 6000s are overkill, so would the Charmoz work with an Over Gaiter?
All thoughts welcome.

Chris Simpson

Re: Pico Orizaba boot selection

by Chris Simpson » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:33 pm

I used Salewa Pro Guide insulated fit. My buddy used Lowa Mountain Expert GTX. Went in Feb 2014.

Monster5

by Monster5 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:49 pm

On a good day, Scarpa Charmoz is fine for most people if you're planning on day tripping it from the refuge/BC. Overnighters are kind of annoying with singles but doable if you don't mind cold feet right off the bat. You'll see a number of locals wearing crappy un-insulated leather work boots.

I wore double boots for both Orizaba and Ixta over T-giving holiday some years back - overkill on the first and massive overkill on the second.

no avatar
Darth Gil

by Darth Gil » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:33 am

Roy when you planning on going to mexico. I have been planning an early December trip.

no avatar
splattski

by splattski » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:31 pm

There has recently been a lengthy discussion on boots for Orizaba that you might find useful or interesting:
post959033.html#p959033

The following user would like to thank splattski for this post
RoyJamieson

no avatar
cadevore

by cadevore » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:51 pm

I am planning on climbing Pico this winter and had a question about boots. I've done some 14'ers on the west coast and use Salewa Rapace GTX boots. Would these be okay for climbing Pico de Orizaba or should I invest in some boots with heavier insulation?

no avatar
Climb2summit

by Climb2summit » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:07 pm

Chris Simpson wrote:I used Salewa Pro Guide insulated fit. My buddy used Lowa Mountain Expert GTX. Went in Feb 2014.

For the Orizaba climb I have been thinking of buying the Salewa Pro or the Salewa Pro Gaiter http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/c ... pro-gaiter I saw its available at half the price... But I am thinking it may be an over kill...

I currently have a hiking boot (Salomon Quest 4d II gtx) which I wonder if this will do the job its: http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/s ... -4d-ii-gtx

Any thoughts appreciated. Also I currently have 10 points crampons: https://www.backcountry.com/black-diamo ... ap-crampon

They are flexible crampons which I have used with my Salomon Quest boots, I wonder if this would be good enough for Orizaba or it may bee too cold, and perhaps not enough traction with this crampons... unable to do front pointing on the mountain (not that I have to use it, do I?).

Bottom line, should I buy new Crampons (rigid 12 points) and boots such as the Salewa Pro Gaiter?

Norris

by Norris » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:09 am

The Salewa boot you mention is discontinued, so only a few random pairs are available to buy at various sites like GearX. Good luck getting your size or a choice of performance vs insulated fit. Too bad, it seems like a really innovative boot. I wish I had known about it when it first came out, I would have liked to try a pair in the insulated (wide) fit. The feature of using an Allen key on the heel of the boot to switch it from rigid to flexible for walking is (was, I guess) cool. I recommend you look at the Scarpa Charmoz Pro GTX (plenty warm and waterproof enough for Orizaba) and get a pair of Grivel 12 point New-matic crampons to go with. The two products match up well.

The following user would like to thank Norris for this post
Climb2summit

no avatar
Climb2summit

by Climb2summit » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:09 am

Thanks, that's right I saw that the salewa Pro I mention was discontined I was thinking of getting the La Sportiva Nepal Cube... Or the LS Batura 2.0 but that may be an overkill... Any body has any ideas?

I suppose the Salomon Quest 4d II gtx would not be good enough? I know people have climbed Orizaba with these and the Black Diamond Contact Crampons...

But my concern is that it may not be the most secure if there are suddenly challenging conditions such as the place getting a lot of ice unexpectedly overnight etc.. that's why I thought stiffer boots and a more grabbing crampons may be preferable.

no avatar
buckie06

by buckie06 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:38 pm

I'm planning to wear the Nepal Cubes when I go this winter.

Return to Gear