High Sierra Mystery Photo.... Fall Edition

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
bearflag

High Sierra Mystery Photo.... Fall Edition

by bearflag » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:55 pm

Again from Lewis Clark's basement is this small contact print that is labeled "Clyde roping on Mt Hutchinson". Lewis labeled it as from "FJB 1933 High Trip", probably Franklin Banker, the only match I can find in the year's Club Bulletin. Seems to be Norman below but damned if I know where "Mt Hutchinson" is in California. Someone out there knows where this is. Gordon?

The following user would like to thank bearflag for this post
ExploreABitMore

boyblue

Re: High Sierra Mystery Photo.... Fall Edition

by boyblue » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:12 pm

Hmmm. Some of the peaks in the image look very familiar, but I'm not finding an exact match in my memory or my personal photos. You seemed to have stumped me again, Mike. :)

James S. Hutchinson was an iconic climber in the Sierra golden age and made first ascents of several important peaks- many of which would later become SC Emblem peaks. He was also a founding member of the SC and its director for several years. It's hard to believe that he doesn't have a mountain named for him. It may be that naming whatever peak this was after JSH was intention of the of the climbers in the image- but obviously the name never stuck. (Curiously, there is a meadow just west of Pilot Knob named for both James and brother Edward Hutchinson.)

I think that the 1933 High Trip was focused on the South Fork of the San Joaquin River and the Middle Fork of the Kings River. I believe that Clyde made the FA of Clyde Spires on that trip. That was also the same year that he spent a significant amount of time searching the Minerets for Walter Starr Jr. I did some searching with Google Earth in those areas, but, so far, came up short. I'm hoping that someone on this board will ID this picture before I go crazy. :)

bearflag

by bearflag » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:26 pm

Looking through the 1934 Bulletin's Mountaineering Notes for the 1933 Outing, the only occurrences I find of Banker together with Clyde are unnamed peak 12,395 from Hutchinson Meadow on July 14, Mt Darwin on the 18th and North Pal on August 2.

CameronGround

by CameronGround » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:40 am

Found it thanks to the "12395 from Hutchinson Meadow" clue. Unique alignment of the background peaks is clear in google earth, google earth elevation is 12340, USGS 12402. Coordinates of the peak are in the image (37.285, -118.7933), just above Hutchinson Meadow.

mt_hutchinson.jpg
mt_hutchinson.jpg (916.71 KiB) Viewed 3906 times

mt_hutchinson_topo.jpg
mt_hutchinson_topo.jpg (964.29 KiB) Viewed 3906 times

The following user would like to thank CameronGround for this post
bearflag, boyblue, ExploreABitMore

bearflag

by bearflag » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:52 am

Nice work. Fits like a glove. First ascent was by David Brower on July 12. 2 days later climbed by Clyde, Banker, and 14 others. Still mystified by the Edwards photo from last year.

CameronGround

by CameronGround » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:14 am

That one's a lot harder, without a bunch of peaks in the background. Any clues on it?

bearflag

by bearflag » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:06 pm

boyblue

by boyblue » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:24 am

CameronGround wrote:Found it thanks to the "12395 from Hutchinson Meadow" clue. Unique alignment of the background peaks is clear in google earth, google earth elevation is 12340, USGS 12402. Coordinates of the peak are in the image (37.285, -118.7933), just above Hutchinson Meadow.

mt_hutchinson.jpg

mt_hutchinson_topo.jpg

Kudos to bearflag for finding the image and CameronGround for finding the actual peak. Here are a couple of pics of "Mount Hutchinson" that I took many years ago.
On the left:

It seems to be a peak worthy of the name of an iconic mountaineer from the Sierra Golden Age. I wonder if it's Sierra Challenge worthy? :wink: Sorry, but I'm very curious about the register (if it's still up there).

Return to California