Grand Teton NP winter trip

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
edisant

Grand Teton NP winter trip

by edisant » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:29 am

Hi, all.

Looking at Grand Teton NP for a winter backpacking trip. I'm not from the Wyoming area, and I haven't been to the tetons before. Hoping to spend about 3 nights out. Anyone know some good trails for winter backpacking? I was looking at lupine meadows - Garnet Canyon, Amphitheater Lake and maybe Bradley Lake. Anyone know what it's like in winter? I'm game to put my snowshoes to good use but not trying to die.

Also - avalanche risks anywhere along the way?

Point me to some good resources and I'll appreciate it.

WyomingSummits

Re: Grand Teton NP winter trip

by WyomingSummits » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:00 pm

Call the Jenny Lake ranger station and keep up with the avy forecast for the area....there are multiple avalanche forecast websites. Keep in mind that you can still trigger an avy even if you're not on an incline.

Doublecabin

by Doublecabin » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:22 pm

I don't think the JL Rangers are out there now so you might have to call Moose Visitor Center.

Watch out for timbered North Facing slopes that hold lots of snow, that's where lots of bears like to den and contrary to folklore most bears outside of nursing sows come out 2 our 3 times during "hibernation." Believe it or not I carry bear spray year round. Odds are low anytime and even lower in winter, so just something for you to think about.

You do realize you'll be skiing or snowshoeing, right? That said you can only drive to the Taggart Lake Trailhead so you'll have ground to cover to get to Lupine Meadows if you want to start there to go up to Surprise and Ampitheatre. I'd say go Taggart-Bradley-Surprise & Ampitheatre. Coming down perhaps you could hit Lupine Meadows and the south end of Jenny Lake. You could also stay low and if skiing or a fast shoer go on up to String and Leigh Lakes. The valley Lakes in Winter are spectacular and offer a solitude with jaw dropping views all along the way.

Other options are Death or Granite Canyons. Also consider the Jedediah Smith Wilderness.

Of course if you're really adventurous you could ski across Jackson Lake and hit those spectacular, far less visited canyons. Hit hot springs on way out of that too. BE SURE to confirm any route with the park service and remember the Tetons get progressively more grizzoriffic as you head North. Hopefully Teton AT will be updating conditions online all winter too. I have worked at two great stores where folks do backcountry skiing a lot. Let me know if you want to talk to any of those folks for conditions closer to your arrival.

If I can maybe help you with a shuttle let me know. Otherwise have a wonderful trip.

Doublecabin

by Doublecabin » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:24 pm

Edit: Dope, Missed your note on showshoes. I'm an a$$ sometimes. Sorry

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)