Boot sizing problem

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Opeth

Boot sizing problem

by Opeth » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:46 pm

My regular shoes are generally a size US 15/ EU 50 / UK 14, and I need a pair of double boots.

Would you generally need the same size boot or a larger size when it comes to say, the Millet Everest and La Sportiva Baruntse? Millet informed me that if I wear a US 15, a US 15 Millet Everest should still fit me. They don't make any bigger and not sure if this is an attempt at a sale or genuine advice. Can I make do with the same size?

PS. No one will accept a return in this size because they're made to special order and it's a gamble for a lot of money.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ExcitableBoy

Re: Boot sizing problem

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:31 pm

I don't know about Millet, but the plastic boots I have owned I wear the same size as my street shoe. Many of the double plastics on the market use a heat molded liner which conforms to the shape and size of your foot, giving you a bit of fudge factor. You can use thinner toe caps during the molding process and even have the plastic shell 'bumped' out if there is a pressure spot. A good quality climbing shop will not let you leave the store without a great fitting boots, but these stores with experienced employees are becoming fewer and fewer. If you can't get to a store, have you thought about ordering from Zappos.com? They have a great return policy and shipping is free both ways. SierraTradingPost.com is another great website with a wonderful return policy, plus everything is on sale all the time.

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
Opeth

Opeth

by Opeth » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:32 pm

Thanks for the reply! That's comforting to know, although I have read recommendations for 1-2 sizes bigger for the Millet elsewhere online which worries me a little.

While I'd love to have them professionally fitted in a shop, I live on a tiny island in the Mediterranean Sea - Malta, and we don't have a single high altitude boot of any size in the few stores available here. While I have heard great things about the sites you mentioned, I'm trying to find a dealer in Europe, cause I'll get charged another 20% importing duty fees on top of the cost of the boots, which is rather expensive.

If all else fails though, I'll check back to those sites for a good deal. Thanks again! :)

no avatar
longshanks82

by longshanks82 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:48 pm

Hi,

Did you manage to source the Millet Everest in a size 50? if so how?? I require a size 50 and I am seriously struggling to find a pair of HA boots in this size.

Craig

Return to Gear