Southern Sierra conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
LincolnB

Southern Sierra conditions

by LincolnB » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:45 am

Climbed Owens Peak this morning, in the southern Sierras at 8,450' -- there is patchy snow on the north-facing slopes, but the south slopes are completely clear. Here's the view north from Owens summit -- even Olancha Peak, at 12,100, is snow-free on the south face. On the horizon a little snow is visible, in the Whitney zone.

The following user would like to thank LincolnB for this post
Deb, jdmorris, jfrishmanIII

fatdad

Re: Southern Sierra conditions

by fatdad » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:32 am

Wow, that's sad. I was up near the Golden Trout around New Years and was a little dismayed by the lack of snow, but I was at a lower elevation (7,000"), etc., so it didn't seem so bad. Your picture really shows what a dry season it's been so far.

fedak

by fedak » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:00 am

How far south did the minor storm that hit the northern Sierra yesterday morning go?

Wondering if southern Sirra conditions have changed.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://www.fedak.net/backcountry.html

clmbr

by clmbr » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:36 pm

That was on 24th of January before the storm. I was hiking Telescope Peak during the storm and was happy seeing so much snowfall but I think Mt Whitney had less or it just started disappearing again.

Return to California