Can you identify this scat for me?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
kathleenrickard

Can you identify this scat for me?

by kathleenrickard » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:03 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg (691.09 KiB) Viewed 3788 times
I have two indoor cats who love to be on my screened in lanai overnight. This morning I discovered this scat along the pathway on the side of my house. I have seen both coyotes and bobcats in our rural SW FL area. Can you identify this for me? Should I be worried about this critter getting into my lanai?

nartreb

Re: Can you identify this scat for me?

by nartreb » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:25 pm

No idea what the size is, but here goes anyway.

The overall shape is reminiscent of coyote, but... Pick up some of those yellow fibers, feel them and sniff them. I think they're plant fiber, as opposed to animal hair. I'm thinking raccoon.

Raccoons will stand up to cats if they happen to meet (say by a garbage can), but won't go out of their way to attack them. And if anything tries to go after your cats, you'll hear the cats' response - and so will all your neighbors - in plenty of time before your screen gives way. (I suppose a bear could go through your screen right quick, but I've never heard of a bear trying to catch a cat.)

HRS Nomad

by HRS Nomad » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:55 pm

nartreb wrote:...but I've never heard of a bear trying to catch a cat.)

I looked into this. They've tried, but the cat usually scares the bear off (Source: like a thousand YouTube videos). Occasionally the cat will go after the bear.

nartreb

by nartreb » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:13 pm

OK, I had to look at a few videos. All I see is curious cubs making no attempt whatsoever to harm the cat. In a couple of cases the cat is clearly stalking the bear!

no avatar
kathleenrickard

by kathleenrickard » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:19 pm

I kept my cats in last night and slept better. They are not so pleased with that plan though. After a sniff test, you may be right about the vegetable fibers in the scat. However, the size is puzzling. Stretched out straight, there are at least 6 to 8 inches.

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)