Four Pass Loop Question

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
mjmaher12

Four Pass Loop Question

by mjmaher12 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:52 pm

Good morning, everyone.
This summer I was planning on taking a trip out to Aspen and hitting up the Four Pass Loop trail for the first time. Since this will be a 3-4 day hike, I was obviously wanting to cut down on weight. I was planning on taking my Eno Hammock instead of carrying around a one or two man tent around for 3-4 days. Then it hit me that there may not but sufficient tree's to hang may hammock up on. Can anyone confirm or deny? I don't want to get up there only to realize that I'll be camping above the tree line and have nothing to sleep in.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Four Pass Loop Question

by Scott » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:29 pm

You can do the loop while sleeping below timberline, but I'd highly recommend a tent. The area around Crater Lake, for example has had many bear problems in recent years.

no avatar
mjmaher12

by mjmaher12 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:38 pm

Good info! Thanks.

MyFeetHurt

by MyFeetHurt » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:12 am

Scott wrote:You can do the loop while sleeping below timberline, but I'd highly recommend a tent. The area around Crater Lake, for example has had many bear problems in recent years.

Curious what you mean by this, if you are implying a bear would treat a hammock or a tent any differently.

But, I'm getting ready to do the loop as well, in a hammock, and I'm assuming if I can hang a bear bag properly (though few people do) I can hang a hammock too. Hopefully the rout is hammock friendly. Looooooots of underbrush in that range.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:30 am

Perhaps this off the mark... But generally there are more bear problems below timberline.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:20 pm

Curious what you mean by this, if you are implying a bear would treat a hammock or a tent any differently.

Yes, this is the case:

http://www.backpacker.com/destinations- ... -hammocks/

Crater Lake especially has had bear problems in recent years. Even in tents there have been problems, but the FS recommends always using a tent in the area.

As you mentioned, you must hang your food if camping below tree line.

no avatar
mjmaher12

by mjmaher12 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:51 pm

Scott wrote:

Great read. The psychological impact a tent may have on a bear makes sense to some extant. Looks like I'll be buying myself an ultralight tent before I head out.

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:52 pm

All caveats aside, to answer the OP's question: yes, it should be possible to hang a hammock at any of the normal camping areas along the Four Pass Loop. All are sufficiently below treeline to have some pretty decent-sized trees to choose from. I don't recall the underbrush being too bad, at least in the camping areas.

MyFeetHurt

by MyFeetHurt » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:21 am

Scott wrote:

Yes, this is the case:

http://www.backpacker.com/destinations- ... -hammocks/

Crater Lake especially has had bear problems in recent years. Even in tents there have been problems, but the FS recommends always using a tent in the area.

As you mentioned, you must hang your food if camping below tree line.

Not much of an article but interesting nonetheless, the first I've heard of it. Thanks for sharing.

As has been pointed out, that area seems to have more and more bear problems. I'd be more inclined to try not to camp at crater lake regardless of your shelter. Other areas around there have bears too but crater lake is a tourist hot spot and the bears appear to have figured it out.

Return to Colorado