Switzerland solo day climbs

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Mountain Bandit

Switzerland solo day climbs

by Mountain Bandit » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:26 am

Hi all,

Just booked a family (not climbing :( ) trip to Switzerland and was keen to sneak away for a climb or 2 (not overnight - just day climbs). We are going in late September early October.

I'll be based in Geneva for a week or so as well as Champery for another week. Any suggestions for good day climbs from either of these places? I'll be going solo so mainly interested in scramble style climbing, nice views and a nice summit if possible.

I'd call myself an intermediate mountaineer, with a high level of endurance fitness (open to a big day!).

We also may visit Zermatt for a few days, so single day climb suggestions from there would be much appreciated too!

Thanks in advance
Paul.

P. Vis

Re: Switzerland solo day climbs

by P. Vis » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:29 am

Hi Paul,

From Zermatt you can try the Mettelhorn ( big hike, stunning views) from the center in Zermatt go towards hotel trift and rothornhutte, later on you will find signs for the Mettelhorn and if you can spare the swiss francs you may also try the Breithorn normal route.
Breithorn can be done solo but can also be dangerous because of the crevasses, but you can hire a gide for a day who takes groups so you can share the costs.

gr. Peter

rgg
Forum Moderator

Re: Switzerland solo day climbs

by rgg » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:27 am

If you're planning to visit Zermatt, perhaps you could check out one valley further east, the Saastal. Lots of big peaks, but not as much overrun by tourists as Zermatt. If you're fast, then, thanks to the (unfortunately rather pricey) cable car, you can even climb Lagginhorn in a long day from the valley. The ridge requires a bit of scrambling, and high up on the ridge crampons and ice axe. Mind you, lack of acclimatization might slow you down, and if you miss the last cable car, you have a long descent (or you'll end up at one of the refuges, or their winter rooms). You'll have to read up about the route to determine if you've got enough experience for it. Alternatively, there is the Jägihorn, which is usually climbed in a day from the valley floor by using the cable car to Kreuzboden. There is a fun Via Ferrata to the summit, and you can descend the normal way.

The only thing I'm not sure about is when the cable cars stop running for the summer season. Without it, it's a whole different ball game. Only Jägihorn would still be a possibility, but it would certainly be a big day.

Return to Europe