Crampon Advice

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
ToOldForThis

Crampon Advice

by ToOldForThis » Tue May 05, 2015 12:02 am

Any advice on what crampons to buy? I am primarily a hiker/backpacker, and these crampons would be used for snow and ice slopes of 45 degrees or less. I have stiff soled leather boots that i use in the snow. I have rented crampons before for climbing nearby Mt Shasta, but think I would do more winter time hiking and some mountain climbing if I owned crampons. The ones that I have rented were Kahtoola KS crampons, and they worked fine. However, my experience is so limited that I don't know if there is something better suited to me. Would K10s be fine for my purposes? Black Diamonds? Petzel?

Thanks for your advice.

ExcitableBoy

Re: Crampon Advice

by ExcitableBoy » Tue May 05, 2015 12:46 am

If you are intending to do any mountaineering, you want a proper 12 point crampon. Grivel G-12 are an excellent choice. http://www.grivel.com/products/ice/cram ... ?binding=3.

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Tue May 05, 2015 1:28 am

Another vote for G-12s.

adventurer

by adventurer » Tue May 05, 2015 1:53 am

And another vote for Grivel G-12's, a great all around crampon.
"When you travel, if you avoid the people, reject the food, ignore the customs, and fear the religion..... you might as well stay home"
James A. Michener

no avatar
ToOldForThis

by ToOldForThis » Tue May 05, 2015 4:59 am

Thanks for the quick responses. So G12's aren't overdoing it then? Given that I don't plan to do anything terribly technical that even requires roping up. If any of you are familiar with Mt. Shasta, I wouldn't do any of the technical routes, nothing more than Cascade Gulch, Avalanche Gulch or Clear Creek route. No risk of crevasses and nothing over 45 degrees of pitch, just snow and ice.

I looked at the Classic bindings on the Grivels and I definitely like that better than the plastic snaps on the Kathoolas.

no avatar
pjc30943

by pjc30943 » Tue May 05, 2015 6:22 am

G12s / Vasaks / etc wouldn't be overdoing it, although as always it depends on the conditions. When the snow gets hard, a solid pair of crampons are useful even on routes like AG that are 45/55 deg. You could go with less (eg 10 point or aluminium crampons), but the G12s with classic bindings are basically on the lower end of technical crampons anyway, even though they'll work in a wide range of conditions.

ToOldForThis wrote:Thanks for the quick responses. So G12's aren't overdoing it then? Given that I don't plan to do anything terribly technical that even requires roping up. If any of you are familiar with Mt. Shasta, I wouldn't do any of the technical routes, nothing more than Cascade Gulch, Avalanche Gulch or Clear Creek route. No risk of crevasses and nothing over 45 degrees of pitch, just snow and ice.

I looked at the Classic bindings on the Grivels and I definitely like that better than the plastic snaps on the Kathoolas.

reboyles

by reboyles » Tue May 05, 2015 2:30 pm

I use the Black Diamond strap-on 10 point crampon for snow slopes under 45 degrees. For anything steeper or on hard ice I use my G12s. The BDs are a little lighter and both are made of steel. I used my BDs on Gannet and they were all I needed. The nice thing about the BDs is they'll fit almost any boot.

Bob

colinr

by colinr » Tue May 05, 2015 5:45 pm

reboyles wrote:I use the Black Diamond strap-on 10 point crampon for snow slopes under 45 degrees. For anything steeper or on hard ice I use my G12s. The BDs are a little lighter and both are made of steel. I used my BDs on Gannet and they were all I needed. The nice thing about the BDs is they'll fit almost any boot.

ToOldForThis,
I am in a similar situation. I recently purchased crampons for possible use on easy Shasta/Sierra/California routes. Up to now, I usually get by with low top trail runners and microspikes. At most, I own some gaiters as well as lightweight hiking boots that are not very stiff nor designed specifically for use with crampons. I decided on the same solution as Bob, but won't be buying G-12s unless I get serious enough to rent or buy stiffer mountaineering boots and do steeper climbs. I strongly considered G-10s, but ended up going with the similar Black Diamond Contact Strap 10-points. I haven't tried them out yet.

Can you try any of them on with your specific boots to see which feels best? If you can comfortably wear 12 points with your boots, I couldn't figure out a major disadvantage besides maybe slight cost, weight, and low angle advantages if you are sure 10 points are all you will ever need.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Tue May 05, 2015 7:10 pm

I should clarify my recommendation. When I suggested 12 point crampons, I meant crampons with front points. 10 point crampons with front points, (e.g. BD Contact, Grivel G-10), might be the best choice for your purposes. If you are not planning on climbing hard ice or mixed routes, an aluminum crampon would be another option. Look at BD Neve, Grivel Air Tech, and Camp XLC 490 with universal binders.

Return to Gear