Stock Photos

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
TamsinEB

Stock Photos

by TamsinEB » Wed May 20, 2015 9:57 am

Hi guys,

Bit of a random one I think but I am at a loss. I am currently looking for stock climbing photos of Chamonix, Andermatt, Engelberg, Glencoe and a few other places that slip my mind right this second. Do any of you have any suggestions? I tried Shutterstock with no real luck and there appears to be a lot of sites which sell bouldering photos but no trad. I work for a company called Ongosa and we essentially are just looking for cool images to use on our website. Equally if any of you have any pictures you wouldn't mind sharing I would be hugely grateful.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Tamsin =)

rgg
Forum Moderator

Re: Stock Photos

by rgg » Wed May 20, 2015 3:07 pm

Hi Tamsin,

I'm sure you've already seen that there are tons of photos on SummitPost, including lots of the areas that you mention.

As you can read in SP's rules, posting an image here doesn't mean giving up copyright. If you see something that you like and want to use, the best thing to do is to ask permission from the person that posted it. I mean, I may be wrong, it's not impossible that asking randomly gets you somewhere, but how likely will it be that those who own pictures that you might like, and are willing to let you use them, actually read this?

For the record: All but a very small percentage of photos on SP are posted by those that have taken them, or by their friends. Unless specified otherwise, usually in the text below the image, that is assumed to be the case.

A small number is from the public domain, which is fine as well. That is, the source from where a public domain image is copied from may require that due credit is given, and even if there is no such requirement it is considered appropriate to do so anyway - that way, if you see such an image here, you know that you can use it too.

And, finally, it also happens very occasionally that someone posts a photo without being the copyright owner and without having permission. This happens all over the internet in fact, but isn't allowed. If the staff notices such a photo (or gets notified), it will be deleted. But it's good to know that this happens, even here, for if you want to use such a photo, it's of no use to have permission from the person who posted it.

To end on a positive note:
Rappeling on Petite Aiguille Verte

Cheers, Rob

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Fri May 22, 2015 7:13 pm

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
davegreg

radson

by radson » Tue May 26, 2015 11:39 am

Have you checked out Getty Images. I get a couple hundred bucks a month or royalty fees for my climbing pics from these guys.

simonov

by simonov » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:04 pm

You could always try Flickr. You can search images based on their Creative Commons license. Most Flickr images are All Rights Reserved, which means you can't use them without arranging it with the photographers, but many others, such as all of mine, allow free and open sharing as long as you also include attribution whenever and wherever you use them.

Just go to Flickr and do a search on images. In the upper left you will be able to select the license you require. Ensure that you are meeting the attribution requirements of whatever images you want to use.

It costs nothing.
Nunc est bibendum.

Jesus Malverde

by Jesus Malverde » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:16 pm

TamsinEB wrote:I am currently looking for stock climbing photos

Then again, there's always this guy..:)
http://www.stockalpine.com/photos/

Return to General